My Recycled Glass Build: LPS Lagoon

WOW Matt, very impressive. Can't wait to see this tank done. Its going to be a very cool tank. Great Job.

Thanks Ronnie! That suncoral will have plenty of room...... the shallow tank will def make it alot easier to spot feed it. I will have to swing by your house once you finish your build and see all you awesome work in person. Looks Great BTW!

I like the top down idea. I guess imma have to do one of these.

I may just cut up the 6 footer I have. 1/2" glass. Tastey

Sounds good Steve! You will have plenty of glass to work with!

Matt, did you use the ice cube or rubbing alcohol on the finger tricks, for spreading the silicone?

No just used the finger....... I put on disposable rubber gloves on and changed them frequently....... What a mess it was to spread.

Matt very cool. I also liked the overflow build thread a lot. You have a talent for these DIY projects!

Please keep the updates coming, I hope to do something like this someday as well.

-Ben

Thanks Ben! I liked how my overflow box came out....... will be able to finally put it to use in another week.

Looks real good. I think I am going to get started on mine today. Thanks for this thread.

Chris, remember any questions feel free to ask. Im def no tank building pro by any means....... but you def learn alot from putting your first tank together.

I tend to be a very cautious, patient reefer....... So I will let this sit in my basement filled for about 5-7 days until I'm really comfortable that this isn't going to leak.

Looking really good! Just a quick thought/suggestion... Are you going to set up like a 5 gallon bucket to compare evaporation so you don't accidentally think it's leaking? I did this all the time when I worked on pools to figure out if they were really leaking or it was just evaporation... I would hate for you to think you'd be freaking out thinking it's leaking when it's just evap because of the cold basement and the heated water...

clean build

Thanks!

Looking really good! Just a quick thought/suggestion... Are you going to set up like a 5 gallon bucket to compare evaporation so you don't accidentally think it's leaking? I did this all the time when I worked on pools to figure out if they were really leaking or it was just evaporation... I would hate for you to think you'd be freaking out thinking it's leaking when it's just evap because of the cold basement and the heated water...

Good point Dave....... Im going to set that up now :)

Great build Matt, what are you lighting it with??

Thanks Kevin, I am going to use my 4 bulb t5 ho retro that I am using for my current setup........ and in another month or two add 2 more bulbs, to make it a 6 bulb unit. I am using guiesman (sp.) and ATI bulbs currently. I would like to add at least 1 figi purple bulb (love the color it puts out)

And I just bought a 150 MH to go over my clown/nem tank (I love/miss the shimmer of the MH).

It will be a 2 tank system connected via-sump.

awesome can't wait for some coral in that thing. its going to be sweet

Thanks....... Me too

i'd be happy looking at pics of the tank with just water lol. i love watching builds from the begining especially a nice one like this. have you decided what fish you are going to put in here yet?

I'm always in Fall River, can I ask where that consignment shop is located that you got the glass panel from? I'm contemplating building a sump over the summer.

Finally............. Just Finished Moving everything over! Other than a little microbubbles, and a occasional drip from the back of the bulkhead (just have to snug it up a bit). Very easy transition, no other problems.

I love the Grey Coast sand, always wanted to use it (just a real PIA to rinse it out)

I'm happy with it! All my corals seem to like their new home as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1609e.JPG
    IMG_1609e.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 480
Back