My Reef just reached 50 years old

Paul B

paul b
BRS Member
It was started in 1971 and was moved three times. The longest it was in one place was 40 years. The last move was almost 3 years ago.
The glass was also changed three times as it got scratched from cleaning. It was started in a 40 gallon glass, then for 45 years it was in 100 gallon glass and now 125 gallons.

It uses 100% NSW and the oldest fish, a firefish is about 35 or 40 years old. His mate is a couple of years younger and they spawn constantly.
There are about 25 fish. Watchman gobies are spawning as are 6 line wrasses, fireclowns and rainsford gobies.

It uses dolomite and a reverse Undergravel filter. The ATO, algae scrubber and skimmer are also DIY
Nothing was ever quarantined or medicated.

(Actually it's birthday is in March of this year in 2 weeks so I cheated a little)
012.JPG

Longnose and Copperband.jpg

FTS Feb.jpg

https://ww
File.jpg

Red - Copy.jpg

Hippo.jpg

So so cool! I thought 12 years for my watchman was success - but maybe it was still a baby! What was it like to move your reef after 40 years In one spot?? Any surprises? Also a pretty good endorsement for the tank builder

Just awesome Paul!!!
Absolute testament to old school reefing!
Just goes to show, there are SO many ways to setup and keep a Reef. And that these animals can truly thrive in captivity.

Again, great job, Paul congrats on a rarely reached milestone in this hobby. (Even public aquariums and zoos rarely acheive anything close to this)

Just out of curiosity, do you think it is at the best it has ever been or does that happen intermittently along the way, to generalize?

Back