My son's experiment

J

jokersplayground

He wanted to make a saltwater eco jar so I did a to of research and came up with this little bad boy.

1f98c4ae020a02b65ddbd7a1caa4b40f.jpg

abeab37052b64b0c527247c27ef53390.jpg

All there is in there is

2 blue leg hermits
3 dwarf ceriths
1/2 lb live rock
1/4 lb sand
A few pieces of macro algae
And a 3 L cap full of phytoplankton

I also used water straight from my tank so there will be no cycle.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Cool idea but the snails n crabs will croak w no circulation/heat/oxygen, then I'd be worried about decomp
Go w sand live rock macro and phyto you'll have pods n cool stuff

The algae will create oxygen. Everything in the jar is placed in there to help each other out.

Thanks man all 3 of my boys love the tank my little one will be the next big reefer lol.

The algae will create oxygen. Everything in the jar is placed in there to help each other out.

To add to this, I have had crabs and snails live in a bucket with rock and some hair algae for 4 months and they still lived. I didn't think they was gunna. The algae and the bacteria in there will create oxygen and provide food for them, the house temp will keep it just warm enough for them as well.

That's a really cool idea! I bet a bunch of schools would love the plans!

Tim

Alot of schools do the freshwater version of this. Just this one is a little different in planning.

Alot of schools do the freshwater version of this. Just this one is a little different in planning.

I love saltwater but today I was looking at my jar and thinking how cool it would be to have it freshwater with a couple of small fish. It would certainly make things more simple

I wouldn't put fish in these. But you might be able to get a way with a cherry shrimp.

Back