NanoX - FamilyX is back at it

MrX

Non-member
A little late starting this thread, but better late than never I guess.

I've been debating getting back into the hobby but couldn't decide what size to go with: another 120G 4x2x2, or something bigger? Or, just go small and get my fix that way. I kept reading, looking for deals, and being glad I was out when I saw the various Ich, disease, etc. threads.

At the OSRAS conference DaughterX and I won an Evolve8 nano tank. Sadly, that didn't quite work out as we expected: http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...r-quot-Stay-out-of-the-hobby!-quot&highlight=

The two clownfish we bid on/won at the BRS auction are living in a 10G Tetra tank with some tankmates: 2 peppermint shrimp (destroyed the Aptasia on the piece of live rock from the auction), 2 tiny blue-legged crabs, 2 Astrea snails, 4 Nassarius snals, and a tiny Yellow Watchman Goby. Also have a small rock with some blue-cloves and small mat of GSP (both donated by mnavick; thanks dude!).

Central Aquatics (parent company of Aqueon, Coralife, etc.) has been very responsive in regards to the issues with the Evolve8. After the second issue we talked and they are going to give me a sweet deal on a Coralife 29G Biocube and stand. Should be picking that up next week and I'll transfer the 10G over to that.

Once I get the 29G set up, hopefully before the May meeting, I'll be looking for:

- A cup of sand from 2-3 established member tanks for seeding/bio-diversity. Some members were kind enough to do this back when I started my 120G and I think it worked well.
- I'd like to think I gave a bunch of members some sweet deals on equipment/coral/livestock and am hoping to make some deals to stock the 29G. Would be looking for zoas, softies, acans, etc. Not sure how the stock Biocube lights will be with corals, so if anyone has any input, it's appreciated.

Pics to follow when I have some time.

Sounds like a good move!. I've got an rbta for you when you're ready. Your clowns need a host. :)

Ron

Did you go CF? I've had my 29 for about 7 years. I upgraded to 3 CF lights back when nanotuners existed, but if you stick with softies, zoas, acans and chalices, 2 will be fine. You can always add the optional led strips.

I have some teal candy cane you can have. Just pm me if you want it and I'll bring it to the meeting. Good to hear you are back. I loved my biocube. Almost wish I just kept it. I upgraded the pump to a mj1200 for the return and got the inTank media basket and it worked great. The aquaticlife mini internal skimmer fits in the first chamber as well.

Sorry for the delayed response(s). FamilyX went down to Washington, DC for a 4-day vacation and just got home. Appreciate all the 'welcome backs'.

Sounds like a good move!. I've got an rbta for you when you're ready. Your clowns need a host. :)

Awesome! Thanks Ron!

Did you go CF? I've had my 29 for about 7 years. I upgraded to 3 CF lights back when nanotuners existed, but if you stick with softies, zoas, acans and chalices, 2 will be fine. You can always add the optional led strips.

Yeah, I'm going with the standard model. I think the new Coralife version has CF and 1 LED strip; with room for 3 more LED strips if I recall. I never had luck with SPS, so I probably won't bother trying those in this tank.

I have some teal candy cane you can have. Just pm me if you want it and I'll bring it to the meeting. Good to hear you are back. I loved my biocube. Almost wish I just kept it. I upgraded the pump to a mj1200 for the return and got the inTank media basket and it worked great. The aquaticlife mini internal skimmer fits in the first chamber as well.

I was watching the videos for the InTank media basket and the MJ mod; looks pretty easy so I'll probably do that when I get the tank. Still waiting for a pick-up date from the Central Pet representative.

And I'll definitely take you up on the candy-cane offer. Thanks!

I also have the MJ1200, just be vigilant on temperature monitoring...............it definitely increases it over stock!
Tunze also makes a great internal skimmer and InTank has a plethora of cool add-ons for both the skimmers and rear chambers.

Maybe not so NanoX

RedSeaLogo.jpg

Did you grab that SWEET one in the front of KCA!!!???

Yes and no.

Yesterday I picked up the Red Sea Max C-250 from 'School of Fish' out in Springfield. Got an awesome deal on it, much better than KCA's price.

It was an adventure getting it home in the CRV with FamilyX along for the ride. :)

I got the stand together last night and positioned it today; it will be in the same spot in my office as my old 120G was. A buddy is coming over later today to help me get the tank up on the stand. Then I have to install the trim, circulation pumps, etc.

DaughterX told me to put it in the same spot after we opened the wall up to the basement again. lol. She really wants back in, and big!

Need to figure out what to do for rock/sand so I can get some water in it and get the transfer from the 10G going. DaughterX wants to go back to 'School of Fish' and buy some of the awesome shelf pieces they have.

I'll try and post some pics later tonight.

I'm slacking... need to get some pictures posted.

In the meantime, I ordered 50lbs of Marco Rock, 40lbs of the coarse Marco sand, API test kit, refractometer, and an AWI RO/DI with booster pump. The tank has saltwater in it with some flake food to get things going. Will toss in the cycle starter stuff when it arrives with the Marco order.

--

Anyone with an established tank willing to bring a small cup of sand and/or some live rock (rubble, small piece, etc.) to the meeting Sunday? I can swap dry rubble for live rubble (assuming my Marco order gets here on time) and would be willing to pay for small live rock.

Let me know.

Thanks!

I'm slacking... need to get some pictures posted.

The tank has saltwater in it with some flake food to get things going.
--

Look up cycling with household ammonia. It works faster and doesn't leave rotting crap in your tank.

RMSC250_Unpacking (12).jpg

SonX wanted to see if he could fit in the tank. :)

RMSC250_Unpacking (14).jpg

RMSC250_Unpacking (15).jpg

There was an issue with one door; one of the corners was cracked/crushed. Red Sea is already sending me a replacement along with the cabinet ventilation kit for use with a chiller (if I ever get/need one).

DoorIssue.jpg

Last edited:
Back