Need a little SPS help

skatezen

If you pick it, Flick it!
For the most part my acros are doing well except for 3. Two of them are losing color all of them are slowly losing tissue, but its not sloughing off, its disappearing. On one acro almost all the tissue is gone, but the polyps still remain and has decent polyp extension.

I check my levels with new test kits. Everything checks out ok. CA 420 Alk is 11 Ammonia-Nitrate 0 Phosphate 0.

I just got done battling red bugs and I did all the water changes and everything looked great for a month. I'm going to do another WC tomorrow and hope for improvements.

I didn't test for mag because I don't have that kit. Anyone have any suggestions?

if the polyps remain then i would think the tissue is still there also.Sounds like bleaching,have you changed you lighting,added carbon or had an alk swing?

ltelus said:
if the polyps remain then i would think the tissue is still there also.Sounds like bleaching,have you changed you lighting,added carbon or had an alk swing?

None of the above.

maybe just a stress from the interceptor,maybe someone else may chime in if they had a similar problem when using it.
At least if the polyps are there and they are just bleached hopefully they should come back

I had the same affect on two of my corals when i used interceptor to kill those arb. It is still recouping and its been months. The thing is it is hard to tell if it was due to stress from the red bugs or the interceptor.

I finished the Interceptor treatments a month or so age. The corals have always looked fine, both color and PE. It was this week that things seem to have taken a turn for the worse. Think it could still be the Interceptor?

(i was going to suggest that when I first read this thread, but didn't want to believe it myself. Loss of flesh and color seems to be a good indication of these guys. Sorry to hear you've found them. :( Good luck. :eek:)

That was my first thought also Nate. I think it's time for some of us to trial dip any millis and larry jackson/valida types that have poor color/blotchy appearance. I think more people have these than we know and are blaming the symptoms on their lighting, water params, etc. Why don't we have a "bring an acro that looks like crap for no apparent reason"(preferrably a milli or lj type) Lev dip party at one of the upcoming meetings. From what I've learned, they do prefer these types over stags and such. I seriously think the results will astound alot of us.

Last edited:
ReeferMedic said:
I think it's time for some of us to trial dip any millis and larry jackson/valida types that have poor color/blotchy appearance. I think more people have these than we know and are blaming the symptoms on their lighting, water params, etc. Why don't we have a "bring an acro that looks like crap for no apparent reason"(preferrably a milli or lj type) Lev dip party at one of the upcoming meetings. From what I've learned, they do prefer these types over stags and such. I seriously think the results will astound alot of us.

i bet you are right

Back