Need Help With Sump ?

22engine

Non-member
Ok quick over view. I just upgraded to a 60 gallon rr deep blue. Was moving the old tank and had to upgrade in a hurry so I got the cube and stand and everything in it is fine. I have my ATO keeping the water a couple inches below the overflow and I am treating it like my old sumpless one for the time being. I only want to do the final sump once and get everything I want. I am having a custom sump built but it's going to be a few months before it's done. So for the time being I have a ten gallon tank I was going to use to get me through till the time the new one arrives. Ok here is the ?

I am thinking about buying another members reef octopus 4" pinwheel skimmer. Want to know it I could just put it in the ten gallon with a bubble trap after it and then return. Nothing else. Based on that skimmer do anyone known if this would work and be ok. Please let me know. Thanks everyone. Need any other info let me know

I don't know about the skimmer. If it is an in sump skimmer, and it fits the sump, it should be no issue. That's exactly how my sump is set up. Drains in to skimmer section. Bubble trap. Return back to tank. I don't have a fuge anymore. Just 2 chambers.

Hmm. Doesn't say on the specs what the water level should be. I have an older nwb150 and it doesn't have a water lever mark on it. Specs I found were 8-10 inches of water. I have it in 9 inches of water roughly. The height of that skimmer is under 20 inches. The 10 gallon is like 12 inches high. So if the skimmer requires only 8 inches to function, it would work. Just won't have a ton of room for the tank plumbing to back flow in a power outage.

Hmm. Doesn't say on the specs what the water level should be. I have an older nwb150 and it doesn't have a water lever mark on it. Specs I found were 8-10 inches of water. I have it in 9 inches of water roughly. The height of that skimmer is under 20 inches. The 10 gallon is like 12 inches high. So if the skimmer requires only 8 inches to function, it would work. Just won't have a ton of room for the tank plumbing to back flow in a power outage.

It would be tight in there for sure but I think it would work no problem. He is correct on the water depth for this skimmer. I used the same one for a year and ran it in 8" of water. Were it me I wouldn't even bother with the bubble trap, I'd just run one baffle in the sump to save space especially since its temporary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yea I think you should be fine. As long as the water level remains constant, which it should if baffled properly, then the rest of it is controlled with the gate valve. These are decent skimmers.

Ok guys. Thank. Just saw a few vids on you tube of people that had them in a 10 gallon so I am going to go with it. I have a tunze ATO so water will be constant.

Back