need idea pls trying to do a sump for my 55 gallon

When I had a 55 ran a 20 long worked great little space left over little

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Depends in the stand. I could only fit a 10" wide tank in an AGA 55 gallon stand. 20L was too wide for me. If I would have kept that tank long, I would have just went with an acrylic tank and make it as big as would fit.

I can only fit a 10 inch tank under mine so im thinking of putting some 2x4s under a ten gallon tank and drilling over flows in it and haveing my rock in there and then put anouther 10 gal tank that the water from there flows into and have my protien skimmer heater, refugium and return in the second.

I was wondering the same thing, I have a standard 55 pine stand and would only be able to fit a 10 gallon into it. I really want to fit a 20 or 30 long under there but would need to remove the center brace in the back of the tank. Would I be ok leaving it out? Or maybe throwing a horizontal piece of plywood to disperse the weight to the corners. My last thought would be to make an L type bracket to attach to where the old one was, thus allowing it to be farther back and having room for the sump. Any thoughts? Other ideas? Please let me know. Thanks

Building a basic stand is really not difficult at all, have you thought of doing that? You have to figure about 8 pounds per gallon... or about 440 pounds. So I'm not sure those L brackets are rated for that much weight--understanding that all the weight will not be on one bracket. I can forward you basic design plans if you're open to building your own--which would give you some versatility in selecting a sump.

I wasn't really looking to build a new stand. Just really wanted to modify this one. I appreciate the advice and offer though.

I had an awful time finding a tank that would fit a standard 55 gal stand. I ended up getting an acrylic sump that was made for bioballs and adapting it by putting baffels in it. I forget what company made it, was years ago.

when i had my 55 i just built my own sump. i made it 37"L x 11.6"W x 13"H it was pretty easy and fun to build. i just went to a glass shop snd had them cut the glass to the right size. i paid $60-$70 for it all baffles to.

Back