need some idea

NH_REEF_GUY

Non-member
i just want to know if is ok to start a new reef tank with out the sand just alot of live rock, is this ok. because i was planing to restart my reef tank with out the sand.

thank you

It won't be a problem to be without, but if you decide you want to add it later on, it will be a messy pain in the butt. :)

I think that'd be pretty neat, just scape it with sweet rocks and that would awesome. it'll sure be WAY easier to keep clean.

that good i will post a pic up when i'm all done with it, is gona take a while. because i have to take very thing out and i'm gona drill my tank. buc the tank is not drill yet and i hate useing the overflow box is take to much space
plus i don't have much coral in my tank yet so decide to start is over and drill my tank.

any one with idea how many hole should i drill on my 30g oceanic cbe tank

thank you

I did three on my 30cube....

PA140026

2 for return one for drain.........

I made a custom overflow and it works like a charm!

Last edited:
that good i will post a pic up when i'm all done with it, is gona take a while. because i have to take very thing out and i'm gona drill my tank. buc the tank is not drill yet and i hate useing the overflow box is take to much space
plus i don't have much coral in my tank yet so decide to start is over and drill my tank.

any one with idea how many hole should i drill on my 30g oceanic cbe tank

thank you

What do you want for flow through the drain (s)? A 1" bulkhead usually is good for around 600gph so that's probably all you'd need. If your worried about murphy's law, you can always drill two drain holes so there's a back up in case one gets obstructed somehow.

You can also drill another hold for the return line, or you can go up and over the top with the return. Personally I prefer to dill as few holes as are needed, since IMO more holes means more chance of cracking. (if you have two holes near each other it's pretty easy for a crack to connect the dots so to speak...) If it were me, I'd drill a single drain hole and go over the top with the return.

How do you plan to arrange the drain? Will you be making an internal overflow box, or are you thinking of something simpler such as an elbow with an overflow strainer? I prefer to use internal boxes so you get the surface skim, quiet drain, and set water level - but you did mention not wanting to give up the space inside the tank...

Also, just a paranoid FWIW - you might want to check with the mfg to make sure you don't try to drill a tempered pane. I may be totally wrong, but I thought I had heard of oceanic 30 cubes using tempered somewhere??

Back