Need More Surface Movement

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
So I need to add some more surface movement in my tank. Ever since I added my canopy I notice that I get a lot more film on the surface. Right now I have been removing the film manually along with some help of a maxi-jet 1200.

Are there any pumps out there are well suited to create a lot of surface movement?

is it a RR tank? If so, you might want to push more water through your overflow. If not....I think any powerhead with an upward tilt towards the surface will help dispel the film...my nanostreams agitate the surface pretty well

is it a RR tank? If so, you might want to push more water through your overflow. If not....I think any powerhead with an upward tilt towards the surface will help dispel the film...my nanostreams agitate the surface pretty well

No it is not reef ready. Thats how I have my maxi-jet setup but it doesn't seem to create enough agitation.

Ya...I would think just a couple of small power heads should do the job, you may want to play around with the positioning a bit to get a nice flow into your surface skimmer.

Jim

How about those power sweep powerheads, the ones that rotate, are they any good? Does anyone have any experience with them?

You could do a sure-flo mod on the maxijet... I put one on my maxijet and noticed a huge difference in surface aggitation...

Haven't heard too many good things about power sweep type powerheads.They have a tendency to gum up with coralline and deposits in SW and freeze up quite frequently.
I would think that you are going to have film issues on the water surface no matter how many PH you use to agitate it.
I had the same issues with my 55 gallon and basically all that would happen is the film would just move to the corners.

IMO, you would be much better off pulling the film from the surface and getting it to your skimmer.

Can you give details on your setup?

The powersweeps have a bad rep, but I think it's from neglect and mishandling, they need to be kept clean and rely on a somewhat fragile pin that if abused will break. I have one that has been in use for 3-4 years now. I think it has jammed maybe a dozen times, each time it took about 3 minutes to clean it and get it back up and running.

Last edited:
i use a hydor koralia and it moves the water good

Attachments

• DS.jpg
    DS.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 99
i use a hydor koralia and it moves the water good

I have koralias in my tank right now, maybe I will add a few more and point them up towards the surface. I like them since they use low power and put good flow.

65 gallon you might be able to just run one #3 on the side like my#4 is and have it tilted up and slightly toward the front so it bounces of the glass to get more movement out of it. i attached the picture so you can see how the directions of the water movement is different on the top. all that movement is frome one #4 as my return isnt pushing nothing really

65 gallon you might be able to just run one #3 on the side like my#4 is and have it tilted up and slightly toward the front so it bounces of the glass to get more movement out of it. i attached the picture so you can see how the directions of the water movement is different on the top. all that movement is frome one #4 as my return isnt pushing nothing really

That might be a good idea. I might run the one #3 tilted upward and then still run a #2 and a #1 to add additional flow. I have my pumps on a wavemaker so I like there to be constant changes in flow directions so I would need more than just one pump.

Back