Need new lights...thinking of T-5's

dlux5life

Non-member
Hi Guys-

I upgraded my 4' 55 gallon to a 4' 90 gallon tank about a year ago. I have a 4X 65 watt PC system by Aquatic Life that was oringally on my 55, now on my 90. I have seen alot of my acans that were on my sand bed and a nice candy apply scoli die off since the upgrade.

I have checked my parameters quite often and have struggled to find anything out of line that can be causing this. I was thinking of upgrading to LED's, but they are still too expensive at this point.

I don't have the capability of suspending the light from the ceiling and need to find a model that can sit on legs on top of my tank. I love the ATI Powermodule's, but dont think there is a tank mount kit for that. Is anyone aware of a sit on top tank mounting option for the AIT products?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ATI_48_Inch_SunPower_T5HO_High_Output_Fixtures_48_Inch_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures-ATI-UZ3009-FILTFIT58U-vi.html

I would like to get something powerful enough to keep some SPS colonies in the upper portion of the tank. What is the best 8 bulb t-5 system that you can think of that has a tank mounting option?

I am looking at an 8 X 54 watt Aqua Medic light T-5 light. Opinions?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Medic_Ocean_T5_Light_Fixtures_36_Inch_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures-Aqua_Medic_USA-AQ1871-FILTFIT56U-vi.html

go with the sun light suppy tek lights...they got mounting legs that they sell seperate and they are half the price of the ATI. I have used one for six years with no issue whatsoever and you can grow pretty much anything with an 8 bulb unit.

Just make sure whatever you choose they have individual reflectors and fans . I could not see that in the link . A work around on the ceiling issue is to take electrical conduit and a pipe bender . 3/4 inch can be used . One or two pipes . They can be strapped to the back of the stand with u brackets .
An electrician could do this for you or Lowe's or HD has what you need . Get the measurements you want to bend it and cut to fit . U can also paint it .
Here is what I did since my old home had very high vaulted ceilings .

U can make your own hanging kit with a good set of wire cutters, pliers , wire and ferrals hooks and steel cable zip tie straps .

DSC00064.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
i would totally get the teklight 8 bulb, 48" by sunlight supply... and get it from Bulk Reef Supply... free shipping, you get 25% the bulbs for it (get ATI imo) and its $50 cheaper, and better quality all around...

its $374 for the fixture, and i have one and love it... and only about $110 more for the bulbs if you get them with it after the discount...

you wont be disappointed with your purchase... hanging kits are only $30 too :)

GL

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/lighting/t5-florescent-aquarium-lighting/t5-fixtures/sunlight-supply-tek-light-t5-fixtures.html

Last edited:
No mounting legs for ATI, you can only hang them which turned me off to them. Plus as Neal said, TEK is great and that deal is hard to beat.

Last edited:
I'd stay away from that TEK fixture on the BRS site. That fixture has no fans for cooling and I believe uses the Workhorse ballast, an inferior ballast for running t5's. TEK has upgraded this fixture with the TEK Elite which I believe uses the more appropriate t5 spec ballast and incorporates cooling fans. But if you are going to spend the money on the TEK Elite, you might as well get the ATI Sunpower in the 6 bulb version (that TEK fixture is 19.5" wide, if you have a standard 90 they are only about 16" wide with the plastic trim). The Sunpower puts out about 30% more par than the Elite according to the tests Premium Aquatics performed so you can run 2 less bulbs and still get a higher output than the TEK. There are many ways to hang an ATI, just search RC for ideas.

No mounting legs for ATI, you can only hang them which turned me off to them. Plus as Neal said, TEK is great and that deal is hard to beat.

JME . I like the TEK only if it has fans in it . So that would be the elite unit . T5 bulb life and close to optimal temps for output with decent fans in a fixture .
This has been proven .
That would be the downfall of the regular TEK unless they changed it .
Good luck to the OP on what they choose .

Last edited:
great thing about t5's, is you dont need to have fans... they run at a very low temp considering they will be 432 total watts... unless you have them in a canopy, all canopies will need ventilation anyhow... and the par on the regular tek light will be jus fine... whether the OP gets 6 bulb, which would work jus fine, or 8 bulb as i have (i overkill everything), the OP wont be disapointed... no need to worry about the par...

$500 for bulbs and fixture shipped, low heat, low utility cost at less than $22 a month, and awesome results... when i get the par meter in a few weeks, i be sure to share my results...

look at my thread, the proof is in the puddin' ;)

Here was a quick find on light output ...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1986880
As you can see cooled or not there is a difference.
IME It was more of a variance with ice-cap and over driving the bulbs ,.. Not worth it ...been there done that ....
I am sure 8 bulbs more than make up for par with no cooling . :)
I have never seen a low heat t5 fixture without fans . T5's are not low heat .
Bulb degradation /bulb replacement would be a factor too .
No fans would compound to the above .
I was changing bulbs out every 8 months ..
I have a few reef buds back home and we found out that the ATI sunpower is just as awesome as the PM .
Here was his finding on a ATI sunpower ..This is part of his post . I just can't remember if it was a 6 bulb SP .

I have verified with a PAR meter myself that a Sunpower-- the cheaper-- can put 250 micromols of PAR on a 20" deep sand bed.

That's absolutely crazy for a T5 and they are NOT overdriven. They are standard high output.

Yes my new friend @pallobi .. PM ur build thread . I want to see it please.

Last edited:
Call George at ReefGeeks he'll get you setup with a great fixture at the best possible price.
Then send Grim Reaper a message on ReefCentral about bulb selection.

Back