need suggestion....

spclays

Non-member
I have everything ready to go for my 50 gal.I'm 0nly have a water issue,i can't aford an rodi unit for another month or two any sugestions on a safe way to get by w/o an rodi?:(

My advice to you is to wait till you get an ro unit... Don't go ahead and just try to get by without it.... I've noticed that even Walmart water is not that great att all.. Been there.... But it's just my advice and you asked for it... Good luck....

As leo said RODI is the best way. You could buy some at most pet stores to get your tank set up and while it's cycling wait to get the unit.

How about those units that go on the faucet suposed to be good for 50 to 100 gallons before you have to replace the filter?

I use tap water every thing seems fine in my tank, except one time I had a bristleworm overload that was my only thing wrong with tap water except for that its fine and I like it because you dont have to spend $150 on a RO/DI system
Duds

Last edited:
I'm not by any means going to recommend this, but I just tested my tap water can compared it to a sample of RO/DI and melted snow from my back yard.
The tap water had a TDS reading of 72ppm, and a pH of 7.9
RODI had a TDS of 1ppm, and a pH of 7.7
Melted snow had a TDS of 2ppm, and a pH of 7.2

But when I tasted all 3, the melted snow was pretty bad tasting.

Oh yeah, I also tested the "filtered" water from my fridge and although it tasted better (couldn't detect the chlorine), the TDS was about the same (70ppm) as the tap water.

FWIW-when I first set up my tank a year ago I went to walmart with my truck and bought 90 gallons of the purple cap distilled water. I used the same stuff for water changes and top off for about six months before I bought a RO and never had a problem...

Melted snow...lol... Too funny... Thanks for testing it...lol... The snow that falls over New Bedford can't be as good as yours...lol... New Bedford snow must have a tds of at least 200...lol... I need another drink.. See ya...

FWIW I'd wait till you can afford an RODI unit. By the time you buy and transport that much water you will have spent 1/2 the cost of a unit. I bought a 100gpd Water General on Ebay for $143. shipped. I've had it for 11 months and love it.

I do remember some threads at Reef Central about using collected rainwater. I guess in terms of TDS the rainwater/melted snow would be fine.... well, that is here in Lowell. ;)

I did tap water for 6 months without a problem, and got an RO/DI not too long ago because I thought the tap water was contributing to my cyano problem (nevermind my overfeeding habits!!). I'd call the Aquarium Gallery to see if they have any RO/DI water. If not, I personally think you can get by with distilled (not spring) water. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree, but if you are looking to get your tank started & cycled, you could start out with distilled and in a month or so when it has cycled & you're ready to add cleanup crew, you could start integrating in ro water.

Where are you located?

If you post where you are located, that might procure some offers of help from members nearby.
OceanGuy

spclays said:
I have everything ready to go for my 50 gal.I'm 0nly have a water issue,i can't aford an rodi unit for another month or two any sugestions on a safe way to get by w/o an rodi?:(

Duds said:
I use tap water every thing seems fine in my tank, except one time I had a bristleworm overload that was my only thing wrong with tap water except for that its fine and I like it because you dont have to spend $150 on a RO/DI system
Duds
You'll be one of the very few out there if using tap water doesn't catch up with you. Usually you will wind up with cyano or other algae issues if you use tap. You might not see an issue now, but after awhile it all adds up. I ran tap for a few months and started getting Cyano real bad.

OceanGuy said:
If you post where you are located, that might procure some offers of help from members nearby.
OceanGuy

I just bought a RO/DI and I'd be willing to make you 50G of RO/DI. I am in Upton.

Back