new fish addition

paul.k

Non-member
i just added a yellow tang it looks really good and very healthy i had a piece of sea weed in for almost 2 hours and he didn't touch it but it looks like he is eating some of the algae of the rocks. will he at the frozen food and is there Anny special way to feed him.

yellows are easy tangs. i remember mine would eat everything frozen. you can offer vegitarian prep. but my powder tang and former hippo tang were happy eating what they pick off rocks. they rarely ever ate any vegies i offered them. and it would usually just sit so i stoped offerin it.

By sea weed is it nori or the crappy plasticy stuff from petco?

To train tangs, it is good to soak the nori in water with garlic extreem before adding to the tank.

Was the seaweed Nori? Most yellow tangs eat Nori pretty easily.

I hope you quarantined your new fish

i have a green sea weed i think it was that petco stuff ur talking about because i got it at Skipton's but i saw it at petco also but hes been picking algae off rocks but i don't want him to go get seaweed in his diet

My YT chows ONLY Trader Joe's "Just the Leaf" Romain lettace.
Will NOT touch Nori or algae sheet. Flake food and some Mysis slowly.
I dont put in the romane, it chows the algae off the LR. Good if you ask me.
SO IMO it is probibly normal

Chances are he'll eventually eat the nori but it could take time. You can try training him by rubberbanding a piece of nori to some LR. They're not used to seeing seaweed waving from a colored plastic clip in the wild so sometimes it takes a bit of getting used to.

Steve

ya Ive herd that i just figured he would be used to it by now because that how they were feeding them in the store. last night when i feed them he wouldn't come up and eat i mean it could just be he didn't want to leave the rocks yet but idk.

Chances are he'll eventually eat the nori but it could take time. You can try training him by rubberbanding a piece of nori to some LR. They're not used to seeing seaweed waving from a colored plastic clip in the wild so sometimes it takes a bit of getting used to.

Steve

My YT is chewing at the nori on the clip before it even settles in the water....and it's my daughter's favorite color....purple. Guess mine came pre-trained :D

Don't worry, give it time. My YT was the same way with Nori, now I can't even get the clip stuck to the glass before he's trying to liberate the clip from my hand. If he does not start eating any food within a few days you might get concerned.

i tryed ataching the sew weed to one of the rocks but he dosnt seam verry intristed in it he just keeps swimming buy it.

Back