New Fish Suggestion

twiddledog

Non-member
I did a friend a big favor so she is offerng to buy me any fish I want for my tank.
I am looking for a fish that is both eyecatching and has a personality. And of course easy to care for.
My tank is a 72 gallon mixed reef. Current livestock is a clown, blue tang, 2 chromis, small coral beauty and red spotted blennie.
I am partial to Tangs. Blonde Naso Tang? Achilles Tang? Powder Blue?

Any suggestions?

just picked up a clown tang.....thing is awsome and cheap too......very colorful

Just need to be aware that, like a lot of tangs they can reach over a foot in length. I wouldn't personaly keep one in anything less then a 6' tank.

I am partial to Tangs. Blonde Naso Tang? Achilles Tang? Powder Blue?

Your tank isn't close to being big enough for the tangs you listed. I wouldn't put any of those fish in 72.

I have a Kole Tang, very nice fish that swims around all day.

Any interest in wrasses? There are some BEAUTIES out there. Loads of color and personality.

Fish

I am not stuck on a Tang, I just can't think of anything else. The McCosker's Flasher Wrasse is gorgeous.

Idk what your looking to spend but if I could buy any fish it would be a Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse Skiptions had one when I was in there on Sunday. It is my favorit fish of all time, someday I want to have a tank for just them ,1 male and 5 females.

I'd say a Midas Blenny but as you have a Red Spotted, maybe not a good idea. Just got a Midas and he is a really neat looking fish with a great personality. I've only had him a matter of days and he is just about eating from my fingers. Shows off to get attention, and found a 'perfect perching spot' in the tank to keep a close eye on the family.

midas blennies are very cool, but yeah you already have your "blenny spot" filled in the tank.

I doubt I will spell it right, but borbonius anthias are really cool... definitely check them out!

You can keep a second tang so long as you're careful about how you introduce them and you're not keeping two from the same family (two zebrasoma like a purple and a yellow tang).

Also, the tang police will tell you that you can't have certain fish unless you have various large tanks. So long as you're aware of the eventual size of the fish and have an exit strategy for when it gets too large for your system, I'd say go for it.

For instance, I have a sailfin in my 75. When I bought him, he was maybe 3 inches. He's barely 3 1/2 inches now. Someday, I know, I'll have to either upgrade my system or find him a new home. For now, I think he's a great fish and he gets along just fine with my Tomini Tang (which is a great Tang for your system even at they're full grown size).

-Tim

I would not recomend any of the Tangs that you listed just based on your tank size. but if you are looking in the price range of those Tangs there are many awesome Fish choices you could do. A few questions first, is the tank well covered (no holes to jump out) what is your feeding schedule, how attached are you to your clean up crew Inverts?

Many of the Fish mentioned above could be great depending on your answer to those questions.

Out of all the Fish listed above I would say the Borbonius Anthias would be my choice, not knowing any of the answers to those questions.

If you are looking at Tangs I would say stay in the family Ctenochaetus (Chevron, Kole, Tomini, etc) They are probably best suited for your tank and current stock.

Seagrass Wrasse and Mystery Wrasse, will end up eating some of your clean up crew Inverts....its just what they do...lol

I am biased on this one, but if you have a good cover you really can't go wrong with almost any of the Flasher or Fairy Wrasse species.

Thanks

All great suggestions. I do love the Candy Basslet but I doubt she will spring for that much money. I know she would spring for a couple of hundred dollors.
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse is gorgeous but I can afford one of those..I may get one!
I really like a bBonde Naso Tang but my tank is probably too small for that.

I am still undecided as of yet....

I'm a regular at a fish store in auburn...ahem...they've had a twin spot wrasse i've been eying for a while. my tank needs more coral before i get another fish in there...so have at it! i've been thinking i'll probably go with a wrasse or a firefish to supplement my clown pair eventually. there was also another kind of wrasse they had in there when i stopped in today after work and it was mostly orange with black and white markings (name is escaping me...anyone...anyone?)

Back