New mixed water has strong odor in mixing bucket?

agent6473

Non-member
I just mixed up some salt water maybe a week ago at most and left it in a 30 gal trash bucket with a pump in my basement. I dumped in the salt and put the lid on. When I went to get the water today, there was a strong smell after opening the lid, similar to a mold smell. It stung my nose a little when I took a really good whiff of it. After the lid was off the smell got less strong. I poured some into an empty tank and at first it smelled again, but then after sitting for a few minutes the water doesn't smell anymore. What is going on? What is producing this odor and is the water safe to use? I know to play it safe I should get rid of the water, but it is quite a bit of it and I can't see what could be causing this. Is it possible that there is a reaction when the water is mixing that released a gas? The bucket was bought new from lowes and I have done water changes with it before. It is completely clean on the inside.

Chris

I keep my rodi water in a 45 gallon plastic storage tub, and when the lid is on for a while I get a real stinky smell when I take the lid off. I tested the water and it still had 0 tds, so hopefully its not hurting it. I dont know why it does so I can't help you there, but it happens to me with rodi water.

Just tagging along, happens with my RO/DI as well if it sits for a week or more. Also in a 30g Brute in basement.

Interesting. I've now heard a couple accounts of this. Stale air in the bucket. Skatezen suggested a venturi on the pump to bring in fresh air from outside the bucket. Sounds like a good idea. Now the question is what causes this smell.

Moist uncirculated air, that sits for a week, smells bad? NO kidding, really??

**sounds like you answered your own question chris**

:-D

i too use a rubber maid 30 gal trash bucket but i have never come across this smell. when i have water in it i use a water pump to keep the water moving and i also use an air pump to keep fresh air into the water to remove any co2. maybe thats why i never noticed any bad smells.

Chris,

I would keep the water moving and as suggested, put in air from the outside with a pump. Most things in the basement, if it is like mine, pick up that smell. The water will be better if it is circulating and air is added. Good luck with the tank and thanks for your help with the fish at Petco. I added the Yellow Tang and the Lawnmower Blenny using the drip method and they were no worse the wear. They both started eating algae and enjoying the space to swim. Neither of them appeared stressed. Tom

OceanGuy

agent6473 said:
I just mixed up some salt water maybe a week ago at most and left it in a 30 gal trash bucket with a pump in my basement. I dumped in the salt and put the lid on. When I went to get the water today, there was a strong smell after opening the lid, similar to a mold smell. It stung my nose a little when I took a really good whiff of it. After the lid was off the smell got less strong. I poured some into an empty tank and at first it smelled again, but then after sitting for a few minutes the water doesn't smell anymore. What is going on? What is producing this odor and is the water safe to use? I know to play it safe I should get rid of the water, but it is quite a bit of it and I can't see what could be causing this. Is it possible that there is a reaction when the water is mixing that released a gas? The bucket was bought new from lowes and I have done water changes with it before. It is completely clean on the inside.

Chris

Back