Newbie Classes

Would you attend an informal 'newbie' meeting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
While I was campaigning for the VP of PR position, one of the things I suggested doing was having newbie classes, run in different places, to get to meet and get to know some of our newer members.

We could discuss reef basics, plumbing, chemistry, skimming, lighting, and newer members could ask questions in a smaller group.

I'm hoping this will help dispel any members' feelings that the BRS is clique-y, or that they've felt left out in any of the monthly meetings.

I've gotten the green light from the rest of the BoD to start this up, so I thought I would post a poll. My original thought was a meet and greet, a quick Q&A, and maybe even a {very short} presentation, depending on the topic. I would plan for an early evening, mid-week, so as not to stress anyone's weekend plans. Please let me know your thoughts.....

I think this is a great idea for all us rookies out there! I know I'd be interested in going to one of these sessions - hopefully there's enough interest! Great for more shy people like myself! :eek:

i said i was interested, i'm in acton, ma and was wondering if there would be any around there... they weekend would probably be the best time for everyone... also, would any experts who would be teachin us newbies be giving any or reducing or just selling any corals??? particularly zoa's :) i love zoa's

I'd also be interested in attending but to make an early evening event it would have to be T accessible. As a general request can there be one held in an easily T accessible place somewhere? Thanks!

I'm interested, but....if i could make a suggestion....

If you are going to do a presentation, I'd recommend picking a topic and then have Q&A based on that for the most part.

For example ....skimmers. When I needed a better one it was overwhelming as a complete noob. Cover the different types, what makes a skimmer better and more efficient, how ofter to maintain, how to set it up and not return later to see the thing overflowing and dumping the sh!t all back in.

I could bring my seaclone to have a "hands on" demo about what makes an awful skimmer - and then we could stomp it do bits for fun :D I could even bring my euroreef that worked OK standard and the mods that make it much better than OK - for short money :) (in an effort to keep the Q&A going).

Next: Kalk, refigium, calcium reactors, etc....experienced users passing on good information so people can go 'less broke' (opposed to fully broke) with this hobby (doing it right the first time).

I'd be interested in hosting one (would have to run it by Kim first she's out getting me real food :D)

I am all for newbie meetings of any kind. Location will be the big rub for most I would think. I am on the S.Shore.

Maybe take a more detailed poll to see about interested newbie regions. I would want to be at say a " skimmer" class ( and help stomp on the seaclone), but driving to Andover would most likely prohibit me. etc....

count me in though!!!

I'm really happy at the responses here.

What I think this will lead to is a geography based poll next, but please, keep the suggestions coming, as well as posting your interest.

I am not averse to different places, IE south shore, in town, etc, but in order to keep this cost effective, (meaning free), I'd rather host this at a no-cost venue....like someone's home.

I have zero issues with discussing any subject matter, or it can just be straight Q&A.

The last class I ran with Moe K had an intro to reef chemistry which I found very helpful when I was a newb.....

I am not averse to different places, IE south shore, in town, etc, but in order to keep this cost effective, (meaning free), I'd rather host this at a no-cost venue....like someone's home.

hi
I remember some of the past monthy meetings having a newbee class at the beginning of the meeting , this seem to be a good idea for the new member to have a small class and also see the regular meeting and participate on the frag swap
just a idea it may work out again.

The goal here is for smaller meetings, where there aren't 100 people milling around. If there are fewer people, there might be more willingness to ask a question...and someone paying 100% attention to getting them answered....

I would love to go to something like that. Im in Malden (very T ax), Im busy every night, weekend, but would make the time.

I absolutely agree that these type's of classes are essential. It will give care takers of the hobby basic skills to excel. Also the opportunity to realize the amount of time and money and care that goes into maintaining a system. This is not a hobby for everyone but they should have a full understanding of what they are getting involved in before they act on their commitment. This is much better than walking into a store and saying I want a fish tank what do I need? Though I believe this is how I started out . I would have appreciated knowing a little more before diving into the hobby. I have little regrets but understand what it means to educate myself in any endeavor that I may encounter. I would pole new members to see what the interest is. I know I have been in the hobby for awhile, and I still want to learn more about refugiums and what to expect from them. Is a sterilizer essential if you have a quarantine? What are the most beneficial foods for corals? Do we need to spot feed? How much food is enough? How to rid of algae? ect...ect..

I have a house as close to the beach as we are allowed to build with a driveway large enough for 6 cars and parking off-street for 12 or so more, my house is available for one of these noob classes....but I'm in Warwick, RI :p

Given enough advanced notice, I could even get the firepit going and we could have a class and cookout :D

i'm interested maybe the classes can be broken up so that people that live in nh ma ri and any other states that are represented in the forums can have an oppertunity to attend. Also maybe some of the local fish stores can host them before of after store hours. just my 2 cents

Back