Newbie Classes?

When Andrew and I got into the hobby, we went to one of these classes. Moe held it in a public room somewhere in Groton - I think it was Groton, it was someplace that was a pain in the neck to get to. It was fascinating and he learned a lot. I wish I had paid better attention! ::

It was worth the ride and the time. And I will always be thankful to Moe for taking the time -

When Andrew and I got into the hobby, we went to one of these classes. Moe held it in a public room somewhere in Groton - I think it was Groton, it was someplace that was a pain in the neck to get to. It was fascinating and he learned a lot. I wish I had paid better attention! ::

It was worth the ride and the time. And I will always be thankful to Moe for taking the time -

that meeting was in Marlboro......at my office. ;)

I'm loving it. I would pay nominal fee to attend. That would help defray the cost of the place we have it and feed the instructors.

Just a compiled list of topics:

Tanks-Manufactures, materials, types, covers/hoods, size does matter, DIY
Water-RODI, salts
Substraits-types, pros/cons
Heating
Quarentine tanks-what is needed
Acclamation-Fish, corals
Rock-live vs dead, seeding
FOWLR
Mixed Reef
Reef
Corals-SPS, Zoos, Acans
Plumbing
Skimmers
Lighting-T5, MH, Retro fit kits, DIY
Refugium
Support-Stands, Built in
Sumps-
Multi Level Systems-Tank on 1st floor, and sump in basement
Electrical- Needs
Illness-reef pest, ick
Kalk/Calcium
Wave machines
Light Cycles
Tank/Reef Chemistry-
Average Operationg Cost
Feeding/Diets-Fish, corals, inverts
Tank care-how often
Purchasing New vs Used Equipment

And the list goes on.

Last time I went to a seminar we took a tour of Sea World. I know that is purshing it and asking alot.

Hey, you have to have a sense of humor.

OK, So what would you guys like to do after lunch????? Any Ideas???

WOW

luckily I was born brilliant, so I need nothing like this, but I can see how it would help others... :p

HAH! this sounds like a great idea. I need to learn more in the near term about fighting parasites like ich. I know some people use copper, some use hyposalinity, some use holistic food methods...

The walker building used to be the Marlboro Middle School, but has been re-tasked by thr city as office space.

With the turnout we had, I borrowed the space of one of the veteran's group's room, because it was set up with the chairs, etc.

The walker building used to be the Marlboro Middle School, but has been re-tasked by the city as office space.

With the turnout we had, I borrowed the space of one of the veteran's group's room, because it was set up with the chairs, etc.

I'd surely attend... being a new member and diving right in with a 125gal system (not installed quite yet). Could use all the advice I can get.

Since location seems to be an issue for many people couldn't there be more than one class? I would volunteer to teach one at my place in Bridgewater for south shore newbies. Sounds like fun.

Likewise, anybody that wants to come browse my tanks/setups is welcome, I'm happy to share any knowlege/experience that may be of any help, just PM me to arrange a visit, multiple people welcome!

Good idea Kevin,
I will second that for the north shore people.
If I have some knowledge to share I will.
You are all welcome to come by and ask all the questions you want.
Bring beer and chill for a bit.
No drunk driving though :p ;) :cool: :D

Really great idea on the nebie classes Jay !
If you need something let me know.

Since location seems to be an issue for many people couldn't there be more than one class? I would volunteer to teach one at my place in Bridgewater for south shore newbies. Sounds like fun.

Likewise, anybody that wants to come browse my tanks/setups is welcome, I'm happy to share any knowlege/experience that may be of any help, just PM me to arrange a visit, multiple people welcome!

Good idea Kevin,
I will second that for the north shore people.
If I have some knowledge to share I will.
You are all welcome to come by and ask all the questions you want.
Bring beer and chill for a bit.
No drunk driving though :p ;) :D

Really great idea on the nebie classes Jay !
If you need something let me know.

I'm working with a generous member on getting something scheduled just north of town. All are going to be welcome, but we are probably going to have a limit of 15 seats, and preferences are going to go to paid members first.

We'll probably have one west or south of town as well, it will just be later in the year. Multiple BRS events per month cause BOD burnout, so we try not to pack too much in too many months in a row. ;)

We'll probably have one west or south of town as well, it will just be later in the year. Multiple BRS events per month cause BOD burnout, so we try not to pack too much in too many months in a row. ;)

Very understandable. Better to have controlled quality than burn out. You would lose good people that are volunteers if you over work them and tax their family life.

I think what Kevin had in mind and that I said sounded good, was a more informal type of thing. That way there is no extra pressure on the BOD.
People could come over and we can discuss any thing they wanted too.
Not to take away from the brs classes which would still be a great idea to attend.

I would never want to overburden the fantastic volunteers this club has, you all do a great job.

I am also not saying that I am a great teacher, just always willing to help and pass on knowledge.

If someone throws a gathering together around the North Worcester county area, or around the 495 belt, let me know. If I haven't quaffed it all already, I'll bring along some home brewed beer ;P

well, we're done with the auction....so.....I guess I'm out of excuses.

Once the next BOD meeting is nailed down, I'll get this scheduled.

Back