Newbie needs help/ideas...

Tberg

Non-member
Hello fellow Reefers,

I am new to the community. Hello & thanks in advance for pitching in your ideas or suggestions. My recent attempts to successfully keep a "break-in" Damsel fish have struck out... :-( I am currently zero for three with my Petco Damsels. I have had them check the water prior to introducing the fish to my tank (55 gal) and it, according to them anyway, seemed fine.
Should I seek out a different store, have my water tested again, etc. I have checked for PH, salinity, and Ammonia. I am not sure why to test for Nitrite/ates if there is minimal ammonia. Any help for this Newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
T.B.

It never hurts to get a second opinion if you don't trust it. Test kits are a must especially if your doing corals. A Hydrometer/Refractometer is a must as well.

The gas you'd spend to get to the Petco is going to be equal to the $15 you spend to buy the same dip sticks they use.

As for the damsel, it's possible it was unhealthy before you got it and the stress of adding him maybe killed him off. There are many things it could be but let start with the basics:

How long has your tank been set up?
What do you run for heating/filtration/water flow? (Powerheads + filters?)
How much Live Rock/Sand do you have?

When anyone tests your water, write down your parameters. It's always good to know what the numbers are. If all they can tell you is "it looks good", ask them what good is. If they can't explain it, don't trust thier advice. (I'll put in some examples):

Salinity - 1.028
Nitrate/Nitrite - 0ppm
Ammonia -0ppm
pH - 8.2
Alkalinity - 9

The more you can tell us about your tank the better. Welcome by the way! Where are you located?

Thanks on the reply

I have had the tank up and running for 6 weeks and have the following for parameters:
Ammonia in the lightest shade - O
Heat - 78 degrees
Salinity 1.022
P.H. 8.2
35 pounds of Live rock, will add another 20.
750 GPH powerhead
Filtration assisted by an Aquaclear filter until all of the Live Rock is fully up and running.
I have not checked Alkalinity because I thought a new tank would not really have any issues. Thanks again for your ideas and/or suggestions. (Located in Wakefield, MA)

T.B.

Last edited:
i'd try to get that to about 1.026

what is your Nitrate and Nitrite?

He's right, also when you added the damsels how did you acclimate them? Best way to ease the transition is to use the drip method.

I'd say once you get your salt up a little, and you know your nitrates/nitrites you can try to add another fish. Just remember if you choose damsels and they survive, they can turn into a very territorial fish. (the black and white ones at least):D

He's right, also when you added the damsels how did you acclimate them? Best way to ease the transition is to use the drip method.

+1 Acclimation is as important for your fish and corals, as are your tank parameters.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure that the fish your purchasing is eating at the store, before you bring it home. Could give you a heads up about a potential health issue.

Elvish, MPevine & Ng....thank you.

Thanks for your ideas & pointers. Next time I'll set up a drip system & see if I can get the salinity up. Didn't test Nitrate/ite since the tank has not really had any marine life, but I will if you think that could be the issue.

Any suggestions on store? Seaworld in NH vs Tropic Isle??? Also, the last Damsel was fine, eating, etc for 5 or 6 days. Oh yes....I am not planning on coral once its up & running. Only the tropicals that I can catch down in Rhode Island. Lots of Butterflys, Cowfish, Snowy Grouper, & others will be ready for rescue August - October.

Thanks again!!

T.B.

Where did you get your rock? Was it dry rock? If the rock had any sign of life (Algae,sponges,worms etc) they may have died and released ammonia/nitrate/nitrate

Not sure if those fish that you named can be kept in a 55. Might want to look them up before

I heard Tropic Isle's livestock was expensive, but are generally pretty healthy. You could ask in a differnt sub-forum for more indepth reviews.

Mak3....I got the live rock @ Tropic isle. I was told by the Director of Biomes (Rhode Island educational facility which raises the locally caught tropicals) that I could probably do O.K. with up to 5 Butterflies.
frank180...I am North of Boston, but will travel down to R.I. in August - October to make sure I get some nice specimens.

Dont bother with Seaworld in Salem there 1 step away from closing and they really dont have anything there. Jays on the other hand is a great store in salem.

I have had the tank up and running for 6 weeks and have the following for parameters:
Ammonia in the lightest shade - O
Heat - 78 degrees
Salinity 1.022
P.H. 8.2
35 pounds of Live rock, will add another 20.
750 GPH powerhead
Filtration assisted by an Aquaclear filter until all of the Live Rock is fully up and running.
I have not checked Alkalinity because I thought a new tank would not really have any issues. Thanks again for your ideas and/or suggestions. (Located in Wakefield, MA)

T.B.

IMHO i would first add the other 20Pounds of rock then let it cycle before anything else.

What kind of butterflys are you catching in Rhode Island? I've been to Biomes several times over the years, and I've only seen one maybe two somewhat colorful butterflys that strayed this far north in his tanks. What am I missing?

Butterflys in Rhode Isl.

Hey Goby, There are tons of Spotfin Butterflys, occasional Four Spot Butterflys, Cowfish, Snowy Groupers, and either Damsels or one other similar fish. I am not sure where Mark (Biomes) keeps them, but he says that he has had good luck rearing them once we catch them.
The "we" here would be the divers like me who are affiliated with the New England Aquarium Dive Club as well as other clubs who catch them and donate them to Biomes. Last year we caught somewhere around 40 or so mostly butterflys. Check out the club pictures if you want to see what we got.

www.neadc.org/images/scrapbook/2009/2009-10-04_Tropicalfishhunt

They are in the club's 2009 pictures under Tropical Fish Hunt (October) Anyway, they come up on the Gulf Stream as juveniles or eggs and will eventually die once the water gets colder in later October - November.
This year's event is Sunday, 8/29 @ Fort Wetherill.... A $5.00 donation gets you a great BBQ and you can check out the tropicals that we will be catching.

T.B.

Wow, I've lived here almost 15 years, and I've never heard about this before. I'll definitely put it on my calendar. It sounds like fun. Thanks.

I heard something similar from a customer who bragged he never buys fish. Instead he goes to some secret spot by rhode island and catches fish that get caught in the gulf stream. I thought nothing of it until i read your post.

Try to find live rock in the 4sale section here.
$10 a pound for LR is going to make you broke really fast.Also try mixing in some Marco rock to save $$$$.
What kind of salt did you start with?
I've had 2 damsels from Petco when I first started that have been in my system for over 3 years now.

Goby, Ng & Stingy...thanks for the suggestions. Please do join the Tropical Fish rescue in R.I. 8/29 if you want to see where we get them. It's usually a fun day. Being a Newbie saltwater fishkeeper, I am not sure how much luck I will have in raising them, but I figure you have to start somewhere.

T.B.

15 years ago I remember a friend telling me he would dive off of new york somewhere and see queen angels......................maybe an urban legend

Back