Newbie needs help/ideas...

Not an Urban Legend.....It does occur

Hey Frank,
A while back there was a Globe article about the divers down on Long Island and what they see when the warmer waters and reef creatures make their way up. I think they (like Rhode Island) get water temps in the mid to upper 70s and the tropicals can and do arrive in New England.
Occasionally there will be an abnormal occurrence or storm where the Gulf Stream gets pushed into or closer to our coast line. I had one day probably 15 years ago at a site called Folly Cove in Rockport where the water looked and felt like tropical ocean. The visibility was probably 50 feet and it was abnormally hot in a wet suit. Anyway....tropicals in N.E. are not an Urban Legend. They really happen. Check out the NEADC club's web site (Photos from 2009, October) and you will see some of what we caught in R.I.

www.neadc.org/scrapbook1.html#2009

Goby, Ng & Stingy...thanks for the suggestions. Please do join the Tropical Fish rescue in R.I. 8/29 if you want to see where we get them. It's usually a fun day. Being a Newbie saltwater fishkeeper, I am not sure how much luck I will have in raising them, but I figure you have to start somewhere.

T.B.

I'll def. check it out if I have the time, especially if some fish can be saved.

Back