Notes to self - bulkhead installation

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
#1 Don't install bulkheads backwards (nut side inside the overflow)

#2 If your stand has a solid 3/4" ply top, drill the holes for the bulkheads/plumbing large enough to get the bulkheads out if you ever have to

#3 When you realize you have made mistakes #1 and 2 two weeks after setting the tank up - fix the mistakes then, DON'T wait 4 years to deal with it.

#4 If you have made mistakes 1-3, don't ever touch any of that plumbing in any way.

Suffice it to say I made mistakes #1-3 about 4 yrs ago, and I made mistake #4 sunday. Here's how it went;

I decided to replace my return pipes sunday so as to improve on how I had them set up. One side went smoothly. The other side was kind of stuck and I had to use some force to get the pipe unscrewed. Everything seemed fine yesterday.

Today I get up, Not feeling well anyway - sore throat, called in sick.....
After sleeping in a bit I get up and look at the tank. Terrible sinking feeling, I see a puddle coming out from the stand.

Well, the force needed to get that stuck pipe unscrewed seemed to have either broken the bulkhead, damaged the gasket, or otherwise caused it to start leaking. Enter mistake #1, had the nut been accessible from under the tank I could have just tightened it slightly and most likely fixed the drip. NO, the nut was inside and covered with 4 yrs of calcerous deposits - mistake #3

End result;
I (remember I don't feel good anyway.....) got to figure out how to cut out enough of the 3/4" stand top to get at the bulkhead, while being careful not to damage the tank. Then I got to cut the bulkhead out via dremel, while being careful not to damage the tank. Then new bulkhead was easy to install. Oh yea, I had to shut down the tank, remove all my plumbing, remove pumps, and lie on my back in a puddle under the stand to do all of this.

So, hopefully at least one person will read this and learn any of the rules stated above saving themselves the pleasure of having a day like I had today :) . If absolutely nothing else, maybe someone will get some amusement out of my ordeal ;)

SOOO Remember bulkhead rules #1-4

jk

Sorry to hear, but glad you got it fixed.

My note to self: Don't rely on those plastic clamps instead of hose clamps.
The other night I inadevertantly played scare the fish with my flash light and one jumped out of my 40 breeder tied to my 120. After crawling under the stand, and saving the fish, I must of bumped a return line. That must have worked loose yesterday while at work, came home last night to pump noise in the finished basement, and a completely empty 40g sump. 18 gallons of saltwater on the floor. Carpet all torn up and time to replace a pad.

That will teach you not to upgrade the tank in a 4 yr period :p

Sorry to hear your troubles John but it is always something isn't it

That will teach you not to upgrade the tank in a 4 yr period :p

Sorry to hear your troubles John but it is always something isn't it

Somewhere deep deep down, I was hoping to crack the tank and be forced to get that 72x36x24 tank I saw at a LFS the other day, but no, the fix went like butter :)

Somewhere deep deep down, I was hoping to crack the tank and be forced to get that 72x36x24 tank I saw at a LFS the other day, but no, the fix went like butter :)
John, glad to hear the repair went well ... I think. :confused: :rolleyes: I thought you had a six foot tank or is it the 36” depth you are after.

compromise go with 60 X 36 X 27 that way still only two halides and this is a manufactured starfire tank.
or go all out with the 72 X 36 X 27

Last edited:
compromise go with 60 X 36 X 27 that way still only two halides and this is a manufactured starfire tank.
or go all out with the 72 X 36 X 27

I have to agree with you Greg. After all said and done we made a six foot tank fit our space but a 60" is a great size. :D

Wow, this suddenly turned into the "john's next tank" thread :eek:

I think I need a house of my own before I upgrade.

Give a few weeks the housing market should be just about right :p

Nothing like helping out a fellow addict.... I mean reefer :D

Gee, just because my tank is so grown out that I can't see sand anymore, I need a new tank, which means I need to buy a new house........

yikes!

Thank yo John
It was a good laugh and a much needed " see I am not the only one who screws up with plumbing"
I have another good one but then again I may only be the 1 stupid person that does something like this..

when doing a return pump in the cellar 14 feet below tank always remember that you may at some point need to shut the gravitational water off directly under the tank. thus be smart and place a valve there.
the 2 shutoff valves and the union down 14 feet does not help when you need to cut the line directly under the bulkhead :eek:

and when you do stupid things like this always be glad for the friends that are willing to come to your rescue ;)

I would like to add bulkhead rule #5

Never move plumbing anywhere near a bulkhead, unless you have a replacement bulkhead.*

I had a similar issue - the nut on the return bulkhead cracked when I <slightly> moved my plumbing...but it happened at 7PM on a Sunday night....without a replacement bulkhead. :(

And yes, Greg, it IS always something. ;)

*I now keep a spare of every size I have in use in my system.

I would like to add bulkhead rule #5

Never move plumbing anywhere near a bulkhead, unless you have a replacement bulkhead.*

I had a similar issue - the nut on the return bulkhead cracked when I <slightly> moved my plumbing...but it happened at 7PM on a Sunday night....without a replacement bulkhead. :(

And yes, Greg, it IS always something. ;)

*I now keep a spare of every size I have in use in my system.

You should have asked me, I had that spare nut :)

NOW you tell me :D

I've SO been there on the 'on my back in a puddle in the stand' thing.

Back