Nova Extreme Pro T5 48" 6-bulb Not Working

t1771

Non-member
I've had this fixture for years and just yesterday one of the fans stopped working and 3 of the bulbs wont turn on. All bulbs are brand new - only been in the fixture a few weeks. I have absolutely now idea how lights are wired and am looking for some help and basic guidance.

Are the bulbs not firing up because the fan isn't working? Do they have any thing to do with one another?
I'm guessing I have to replace the fan and the ballasts?
Is each bulb inidividually wired - I'm asking this because when I have one of the bulbs that isn't working in the ballast, another bulb that is working goes out. But when I remove the bulb not working the other goes back on again.

Is this something a licensed electrician should be able to tackle and fix?

HELP!!

more than likely it is a coincidence that the fan and lights are not working. try cleaning the fan of any dust on it. Try to spin the fan manually while it is turned on. How many switch's control the lights? How many ballast's are there?

There are two ballast inside of the fixture and each ballast controls three bulbs. But seeing how thee bulbs and a fan is not working maybe one of screw cap off of the main power plug came loose. I do not remember if there is a pigtail that comes off of one of the main power supplies or not to power one of the fans. It is easy to take apart. Lay the light on its top, take the bulbs out then unscrew the reflector and take it out. This will show you the guts inside of the light. Then look for a loose connection. The wiring diagram for the ballast is the 4th one down on the left. The wire coloring maybe different.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/media/uploads/Vue660_Maunal-2.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have the 8 bulb nova and one of the ballast crapped the bed. mine had 4 ballast though? Each ballast ran 2 bulbs. I actually still have 3 working ballast from that light and the one of them running a 2 bulb t5 I built.
Are the ballast Sylvania? I think?

I took off the reflector and there are 3 ballasts, I'm guessing 2 bulbs to each. SunPark is the name on them. Is it possible for 1 bulb to work on the ballast and 1 not?

Yes it is possible. There is one side of the bulb that is the hot and the other side is the neutral. Is the light that is working and not working on the same ballast? Did you get the fans to work or find any loose connections?

No luck with the fan...so one is working perfectly fine and one isn't working at all. Two of the lights not working are on the same ballast and then the other one which isn't working is on the middle ballast. UGH

Has the fan been loud before it died? or has the ballast been loud when they come on? It may be time for a new fan(s) and new ballasts. So ballast that has the two bulbs that are not working could be shot. If the ballast is gone on the other one I would think that none of the bulbs would work instead of 1 bulb works and the other 1 does not.

Ya the fan was loud. Oddly enough when I put everything back together this morning to run at least three bulbs the fan kicked on loudly for about a minute then stopped again. I took some pics of the wires I'll post them.

Back