October 19th-(Sunday)-12pm-5pm-Framingham Elks - Ret Talbot Sustainability/Newbies

Flame Angel

Past BRS Pres/2016MOD
Staff member
:)Boston Reefers Meetings are open to all Paid, non-paid and prospective members(family friendly environment):)

The next meeting of the Boston Reefers' Society will be: on Sunday, October 19th, 2014 noon to 5:00pm NO PATRIOTS FOOTBALL THIS DAY!

The location is: Framingham Elks 450 Union Avenue, Framingham, MA

Rhett Talbot-Sustainability of the Hobby

Meeting schedule:

**All topics and times subject to change at any time**

12:00-Socializing/Membership Registration/Greeting
12:15-Newbie Class Presented by our own Past President Moe Kirby (click here to be brought to the newbie class thread)
1:15-Break for lunch
1:30-Ret Talbot-Sustainability of the Hobby
2:30-
3:00-Fish Goo
3:30-Raffle
3:45-Frag Trading/Socializing

Water testing link

Fish Goo Sign Up-(Link to sign up for fish goo)

Meeting Sponsors - Boston Reefers own Membership-Donate a frag to the raffle and you can set up a tank for free. (Aquaculturist/Frag Farmers-NON BUSINESS ONLY)

Yard Sale Tables for $20.00 or equivalent+ donation to the raffle table.

There will be the usual frag swap at the end of the meeting. A frag swap thread will be posted separate in "Reef Talk" for those members wishing to trade frags.

There will be many great raffle prizes offered up to support the club by our sponsors and members. Items will be posted as we get closer to the meeting date.

**NEW ADDITION TO THE MEETINGS IS A KIDS ACTIVITY TABLE**

Tet Talbot.jpg

Ret Talbot's - Bio

Ret Talbot is an award-winning freelance writer and photographer who frequently covers fisheries at the intersection of science and sustainability. He is best known for his data-centered, investigative pieces in publications like Discover Magazine and CORAL Magazine. His multi-part series on sustainability and the aquarium trade in CORAL, as well as his book Banggai Cardinalfish (Reef to Rainforest Media 2013), has brought attention to the socio-economic and environmental benefits of a sustainable aquarium trade, as well as the need for comprehensive aquarium trade reform. He has authored hundreds of articles on the aquarium trade, and he is author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Saltwater Aquariums (Alpha 2009). Most recently, he has been covering the Endangered Species Act listings and proposed listings of popular aquarium animals, and his talk will be a sneak peek at his upcoming feature article in the Nov/Dec issue of CORAL Magazine. He lives in coastal Maine, where he blogs regularly at his own Good Catch Blog (www.GoodCatchBlog.com).

Ret's Talk will include:

Two of the most popular aquarium fishes are now under status review for Endangered Species Act (ESA) listing, and 20 coral coral species, including several popular aquarium corals, were recently listed as threatened. What does this mean for the aquarium hobby and trade in the United States? There is a lot of heated rhetoric and hyperbole that makes it difficult to answer this question accurately. Is this an all-or-nothing fight that will either result in preserving an unchanged hobby or ending it altogether? Or is this a situation where collaboration and compromise could yield an even stronger aquarium hobby better aligned with reef conservation goals and with a more certain future? Ret will share his experiences traveling in source countries, interviewing people on all sides of the issue and parsing trade data. He will take you inside the aquarium trade and the ESA and give you the information you need to make an informed critical decision about the future of the marine aquarium hobby.

Added Special Treat:

KAREN TALBOT

Karen Talbot will also be on hand to share some of her scientific illustrations of reef fishes. A limited number of prints will be available for sale at the event, but if there a specific print you want, please email her at [email protected] so she can be sure to bring it with her. Her work can be seen at www.KarenTalbotArt.com.

Karen Talbot is an award-winning conservation artist known primarily for her lifelike, fine art paintings and scientific illustrations of fishes, birds and botanicals. Splitting her time between the rocky coast and brook trout streams of midcoast Maine and the mountains of western Wyoming, Karen takes her inspiration from oceans, streams, canyons, and mountains where she regularly dives, fishes and climbs. An ardent conservationist, she aims to educate through her art, and she donates a percentage of sales to help conserve wildlands (and waters) that inspire her. Karen works in a variety of media, including watercolor, pen & ink and acrylic. Collected by anglers, divers, birders, scientists, and anyone passionate about the beauty of the natural world, Karen's artwork can be found worldwide at art shows, galleries, retail stores, restaurants, trade shows, and fishing tournaments, as well as in books, magazines, hotels, and clients’ homes.

Ret Talbot
www.RetTalbot.com
Twitter.com/RetTalbot
Facebook.com/RetTalbotPhotography

Have you subscribed to the Good Catch Blog yet?
"[A]n unflinching portrait of the seafood industry" | "Ret catches the grit beyond the shine, the drift beyond the waves." | " Asking tough questions and holding rhetoric to the fire, this commentator adds a level of passion and personal insight much appreciated in the community of seafood." www.GoodCatchBlog.com | A Fisheriescentric Blog by Ret Talbot

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't need a table but I have a large frag that I will donate to the raffle. Nothing spectacular just a Montipora Spongodes
But in this case I guess One mans frag is another mans colony

Measure about 10" x 9"
_JGT4495-3.jpg

That is very nice , Does that mean you are finally coming to a meeting again??? I think we owe you few drinks..
I don't need a table but I have a large frag that I will donate to the raffle. Nothing spectacular just a Montipora Spongodes
But in this case I guess One mans frag is another mans colony

Measure about 10" x 9"
View attachment 100662

That is very nice , Does that mean you are finally coming to a meeting again??? I think we owe you few drinks..
I am coming to a meeting "Again"

Might even bring Heather to corrupt more Significant others :D

Last edited:
Now Hear This, Now Hear This - Newbie Class for the October Meeting

Well, as promised at the last meeting. I am asking every member to coordinate between each other and contact their local cable TV.

One of our past Presidents Moe K has offered up his time and experience to teach a newbie class at the beginning of the October meeting in Framingham.

Attached is a .pdf, jpg. Take a moment and contact your local cable TV station. They will post the event as it is a non-profit and free community event.

Feel free to contact my by PM if you have questions and let me know where you the locality is you are posting the event.

If you ever had a family member, friend or co-worker ever interested in getting into the hobby... October is the month...

Let's make this a well attended event.

Right after the newbie class will be the regular meeting with guest speaker Ret Talbot.

Many hands make light work... take a few minutes and help out.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to bring about this wonderful passing of knowledge. The last time this event occurred was over three years ago.

Newbie October 19th.jpg

Attachments

• Newbie October 19th.pdf
    279.9 KB · Views: 215
I'll be bringing a bunch of corals (fragments from my tanks) to this meeting. If you are looking for anything in particular shoot me a PM.

Hello Everyone, I have not heard back any responses in regards to members taking it upon themselves to post the Newbie Class with their local cable TV.

You can do this as easily as going online and finding your local Cable TV Administrator in your town... You email them this link and they will post it.

Keep in mind we are a non-profit and our mission statement if they ask questions... If you run into an issue, feel free to direct them towards me.

But please get back to me if you have been able to post in your town, so I can keep track of where the post has been made as to not duplicate efforts.

Thank you,

Chris,

I have reached out Lynn, Salem, Swampscott, Danvers, Peabody and the Boston Neighborhood network, They are asking some questions I don't have the answer to in the formatting of the file. Here is what most want.

• Slides must be in hi-resolution 300 pixels Jpeg file format, size 800 x 600 landscape
• Include the name of your organization, neighborhood, and concise info about your event
(Keep it brief line length and character counts are included with the attached sample.)
• Use clean sans serif font for maximum legibility ie: Helvetica, Arial
Title should be 70pt. | Copy 35pt. | Date/Time 50pt. | Web/Phone # 35pt.
• Prominently include website or phone number where people can contact you for details. Be creative – incorporate
photos, colors or graphics that will attract viewers’ attention
• Avoid specific dates unless for events at least three weeks away

Brian

Chris,

I also plan in developing a list of all the local TV stations and start sending in even our regular meetings, I will keep you informed of that progress.

Brian, PM me. Thanks
Chris,

I have reached out Lynn, Salem, Swampscott, Danvers, Peabody and the Boston Neighborhood network, They are asking some questions I don't have the answer to in the formatting of the file. Here is what most want.

• Slides must be in hi-resolution 300 pixels Jpeg file format, size 800 x 600 landscape
• Include the name of your organization, neighborhood, and concise info about your event
(Keep it brief line length and character counts are included with the attached sample.)
• Use clean sans serif font for maximum legibility ie: Helvetica, Arial
Title should be 70pt. | Copy 35pt. | Date/Time 50pt. | Web/Phone # 35pt.
• Prominently include website or phone number where people can contact you for details. Be creative – incorporate
photos, colors or graphics that will attract viewers’ attention
• Avoid specific dates unless for events at least three weeks away

Brian

Back