Ok, I got to ask,live rock question

HaymannNH

Non-member
I am just wondering,besides the look of the rock,what would be the difference between me buying live rock that came from Florida Compared to going to the cape or Hampton beach and getting my own?
I am to assume that if I went and picked it out of the ocean at the cape or Hampton it would die beause of the different water tempature?
I have no idea and I am just looking to get more educated on the subject.
Thanks,
Don:)

probably different density of the rocks. also, i don't know the law of new england, but a lot of places don't let you take live rock from the ocean.

I would be a little concerned about pollution coming from that close to shore. I'm also pretty sure you'd get a lot of die off because of the temp difference.

FWIW, I am not a big fan of Florida rock either but some like it. I think it is way to dense imo.

And the rock around here is nothing like the rock found on/near reefs. Reefrock is old coral skeletons and whatnot that came from the reef. Local rock is not much different from what you could find in your back yard.

So what you really trying to tell me is that you don't want to buy 50 lbs of live rock from my back yard...Special today only .3 cents a pound.
LOL

Yea, the rock you find in the ocean around here is nothing special

If you want to save some serious cash on your set up, look into marc's dry rock. It's calcerous rock just like LR, but dry and dead. Use %90 of that rock and seed with a tiny bit of LR. That way you save a ton, and you cut the risk of nusiance organisms WAY down. It does need to be rinsed really well, but IMO it's the best way to get a tank going. If I could start over I would go the marc's rock option for sure.

http://www.marcorocks.com/

I agree with the above^^ The last stuff I got from Marc was unreal. It is big pieces with thousands of tunnels in it.

I am brand new also and just got 100# of Marco Rock. I was set on LR from PA. It would just cost about $60 to ship via Southwest from Indy to Manchester. But by going to Marco I think I will have much prettier rock and will save a bunch. I will need to wait longer before everything is "cured" but it looks to be worth the wait.

I am so very happy to have found this forum with a lead to Marco.

I am brand new also and just got 100# of Marco Rock. I was set on LR from PA. It would just cost about $60 to ship via Southwest from Indy to Manchester. But by going to Marco I think I will have much prettier rock and will save a bunch. I will need to wait longer before everything is "cured" but it looks to be worth the wait.

I am so very happy to have found this forum with a lead to Marco.

I agree with you there. Whish I knew about the BRS when I bought my first rock.:mad:

i wish i saw that earlier i bought allot of dead rock but its nothing as near as good. ill have to get better rock when i get my larger tank :) and i dint know rock around here was live rock i wouldn't use it but thats cool to know is just rock every were live.

Back