Opinion about BRS GFO & Carbon reactor

sumant19

BRS Member
Hello,

I am in process of rebuilding my aquarium (red sea max 34 gallons) and looking to add BRS GFO and Carbon reactor. The pump will reside in the sump which is a chamber behind the display part of the aquarium and the reactor canister will be housed in the cabinet below (around 5 feet down).

I am little suspicious about wheter a single Maxi Jet 1200 in the sump be enough to pump the water down to the reactor and up (~10 feet -- 5 feet down, 5 feet up)? Will really appreciate any suggestions on how I can fit it in to RSM 130D.

Thanks!

I think you should be fine for the GFO. You usually have to turn the pump way down to get it tumble slowly anyways.

Another question.. may be i am just being paranoid... what will happen if I install the reactor in the cabinet and for some reason the reactor sponge gets all clogged up? I know regular maintenance will avoid this but looking for a worst case scenario.. Will the pump will continue to push the water into the reactor which will eventually leak out?

Not sure I fully understand the question but any water passing through your "clogged" sponge will just take its regular path into the tank. If you continue to run the Maxie Jet like that its not good for it and will cut down on the life.

Jim

The danger of a clogged sponge/filter in the media reactor is less about flow (which will decrease) than about becoming a nutrient sponge - it's generally detritus and biomatter that clog the filter. Having a buildup of this will be leaching nutrients into your tank. This leads to nuisance algae and other problems if unchecked.

So, you should be cleaning out any kind of filter media in your tank and it's a drag if you don't - but not calamitous if you're late on maintenance.

Back