Opinion Reef Octopus BH-100 vs BH-100F (smaller HOB skimmers)

gweston

Non-member
I did a lot of research on small(er) HOB skimmers lately to stick on a 29gal reef. Running a power filter works ok with monitoring of water params and sizeable weekly water changes, but I see phosphates up above where they should be and I don't like that. All other params are dead on.

It's time to add skimming.

I've bounced all over the place between CPR, Remora, Octopus, etc etc.

I like the price point of the Reef Octopus HOB's. An important point for me. Plus they seem to perform quite well. Positive reviews across the board. The old 'pump burnout' issue is also resolved. The manufacturer changed pump model/make. The old one with burnout issues was the Resun King 225F, the newer is an OTP1000. One can also opt to stick a Sedra 2500 on there and just swap the impeller out for better performance. Plus an easy to do mesh mod is reportedly excellent.

Now to my point. Anyone own a BH-100F model? This model has the pump INSIDE the HOB rather than in the tank. My concern here is siphoning. A siphon start is required to get this thing going initially.

-In event of a power outage, does the siphon need to be restarted? I honestly don't want to deal with that. I can deal with an in-tank pump to be certain it starts up properly in the event of an outage.

My current AC50 power filter does -not- start itself on it's own if there is an outage or if I turn it off. It needs to be primed again. Rather annoying.

Hmmm..

I was looking at the BH-1000. Seems like a newer model. Somewhat larger capacity for not a lot more money. What is nice about it is it seems to incorporate a few good features. The surface skimmer.. and the external pump (easier access to it too). From looking at it too, priming it may not be as big an issue as the BH-100F.

-G

Back