Overflow Drain Pipe Sizing

My tank has four 1.5" drains, two in each external overflow. Two will be constantly running (I hope) and the other two will be back-up. I want to keep the holes in the floor to a minimum. Will two, 2" drains adequately handle all four 1.5" drains, even in the case of a partial clog?

BTW... I'll have dual float switches in the overflows to cut power to the return pump to prevent a flood.

Thanks,
Paul

depends completely on how much water you are planning to put through it......

depends completely on how much water you are planning to put through it......

Well, I'd like to put all of it through it. :p

I believe I'll be in the 750-900 gph ballpark for the return rate, which gives me ~ 3X turnover. I'd hate to do it, but to be on the safe side, should I put four 1.5" holes or two whopping 3" holes to accommodate all four drains ?

Im doing this on my new HP 50G, and Im use to my TI-83Plus, but...

4x1.5"
0.785x1.5^2 = 1.76625
1.76625x4 = 7.065 in^2

2x2":
0.785x2^2 = 3.14
314x2 = 6.28 in^2

2x3":
0.785x3^2 = 7.065
7.065x2 = 14.13 in^2

One 3" should provide the same flow as four 1.5"

i would go with 2x2" throught the floor what kind of drains are you gonna use in the overflow box i would combine one from each over flow to a 2" then use that as you main drain it should handle 7-800 no problem the the other 2 will be for backup

Thanks for the calculations Takara. I know one hole is better than two. But a 3"er looks too big.

i would go with 2x2" throught the floor what kind of drains are you gonna use in the overflow box i would combine one from each over flow to a 2" then use that as you main drain it should handle 7-800 no problem the the other 2 will be for backup

Thanks cujo. I plan on using The McReeferson Institute's Stockman Doohickey Thing Drain. I think I'll go with two 2" drains. I'll double check with Miracles on that.

Back