Painted Background

What does everyone prefer for a painted background?

• Black

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Blue

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other...

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Who cares, it will eventually be covered in coraline...

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

Daragon

Non-member
What does everyone prefer for a painted background and why?

I'm upgrading my 72 to a 125 and I'm going to paint it. I'm curious to see what everyone else has and why they chose that color.

I agree Steve. I think the blue paint also reflects a lot of light, making the tank look brighter. Black seems to darken things up a bit, more shadowy. Black does highlight the coralline and other growth on the glass better though...

Last edited:
I like the black because my skimmer box blends in with it, and the yellow fish (like my future Yellow Tang!) look awesome against it.

who cares? it will eventually be covered with coralline. i can't even see the blue background anymore. only pink and purple. :)

I really liked the way blue looked before I broke that tank. My vote is for blue.

alright when are we moving this sucker....the back glass just gets covered in crap anyway.

closed loop?

yes it will get covered in time but for a new set up you might want to mag float the back untill the water and the tank settle down its easer to mag float it than to try to get it with a scraper and bang your lights around .this is of corse if you have a rr and not a tank with overfow boxes or a closed loop set up

Clam Man said:
this is of corse if you have a rr and not a tank with overfow boxes or a closed loop set up

Dale, you have me a bit confused, a rr (Reaf Ready) tank has overflow boxes, am I wrong?

Daragon said:
I was informed last night that the tank I'm getting also has tint on it. Mikrok, how do you like it?

I like it very much... sorry for the slow response time. I find that it doesn't let the plumbing of the closed loops in the back show up, but it creates almost matte gray background. if you know the plumbing is behind it you can see it easily, but it creates a kind of murky abyss :cool:

no you are not wrong Daragon the rr tank has overflow boxes but they are in the tank not hanging off the back so you can mag float the back :)

Back