Paul's' new build..

It's not hard to enlarge the hole. If you use a a bit with a pilot, place a piece of plywood underneath that hole (obviously supporting the rest of the tank) and use the plywood to keep the pilot in place. That will keep the saw from bouncing around allowing you to make the hole larger. Just go slow. I've also heard to run the saw in reverse with acrylic.

There isn't enough room for another hole, but I suppose the one that is there could be made larger. Isn't it hard to re-drill a hole just a bit larger? There is no place to place the bit. If we messed up it would be finished. I easily passed the cords for the Jebao pumps through the one inch bulkhead. If I wanted to use a Tunze, I would have to cut and splice the cords. Let me sleep on it. Are you coming over next Saturday afternoon?
We can just use a template then it can't move once the hole is started it ieasy from there. I will be there sat but can come early so we can do that first. I can show you on a scrap so you are comfortable with the process if need be

Sounds good. I just need to determine if there is room for a one and a quarter inch bulkhead. Maybe only the one inch can fit. James will know. I'll get a hold of him Monday and order the bulkhead if it looks like it will work.
Now I'm trying to decide how to plumb the return. Should I put a T on the riser and attach two 3/4 inch Loc Lines or just do it straight with the 1+1/4 PVC?

Sounds good. I just need to determine if there is room for a one and a quarter inch bulkhead. Maybe only the one inch can fit. James will know. I'll get a hold of him Monday and order the bulkhead if it looks like it will work.
Now I'm trying to decide how to plumb the return. Should I put a T on the riser and attach two 3/4 inch Loc Lines or just do it straight with the 1+1/4 PVC?

I have to think that 2 avenues for the return will allow you more options for the 'where' your flow goes

I ran my rise to the top of the overflow then ouside the overflow to a lockline Tee and two outlets. I wanted to maximize my overflow, more teeth less piping

I ran my rise to the top of the overflow then ouside the overflow to a lockline Tee and two outlets. I wanted to maximize my overflow, more teeth less piping

I did the same thing except I used a regular T with 2 Loc lines. I spoke to James and he said there is plenty of room in the overflow to enlarge the hole for a 1-1/2 bulkhead. So If your game to do it so am I. Will you use a router? I believe the hole has to be 2-5/16.

Ok then. It occurred to me yesterday while I was gluing sand to my overflows that reefkeeping is like being in love. It's wonderful and tortuous at the same time.

Silicone and sand covered overflow.
mini-IMG_3462.JPG

I'm going to try and not have a pyramid of rock around these overflows. Caverns, ledges, caves etc. to keep it as open as possible. If you see through, the sand covered wall should look better than the black acrylic. Easier said than done but that's the plan.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier but I have to ask. Curiosity get the best of me.
Why didn't you get an external overflow box? With an external overflow, you have the whole tank create any aquascape that you like without being restrained by the two overflow

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier but I have to ask. Curiosity get the best of me.
Why didn't you get an external overflow box? With an external overflow, you have the whole tank create any aquascape that you like without being restrained by the two overflow

because it it a four sided tank, you view it from all four sides
DSC_2737.jpg

Thanks, forgot about the fact that the tank is in middle of the room and can view on all 4 sides.

All set for the big day tomorrow. I removed all the lighting and electric under the stand. I sprayed the rails I use to hang the Vegas with rustoleum because they looked like they were starting to rust. I put the magnifica anemone downstairs in the frag tank along with everything else I could fit.The gigantea will go into the stock tank with everything else tomorrow. I have 2 kessils temporarily placed over it now and will move those to the stock tank too. I am taking care to keep both anemones as happy as possible so there is no wandering. Now all I have to do is go to UnderWater World to borrow Greg's R/O DI unit this evening. I think I thought of everything I need to do so may the Force be with me tomorrow!

Anyone who wishes to stop by today is welcome. We might need more help to lug the tank in. That shouldn't be till this afternoon. Spectators also welcome and can cheer us on .
103 Park Ave, Bridgewater
508-697-2026

Sorry for taking so long. I got a nasty stomach bug Sunday and am still far from normal. Talk about bad timing. Here are some pics of the the events on Saturday.
mini-IMG_3463.JPG

Here is where my fishes and rock are staying.
mini-IMG_3464.JPG

The plan was to cut up the tank, but Alberto decided he wanted it. He is going to repair it.
mini-IMG_3465.JPG

New tank in place.
mini-IMG_3466.JPG

I have all the plumbing done and the water is in and circulating. I started adding rock today and looks like the aquascaping is going to be a real challenge. If I had all the pieces laid out in front of me it would be a lot simpler. Most are piled on top of each other which makes finding the right piece that much harder.
I couldn't have achieved any of it if it weren't for my friends helping me out. Greg from Underwater World has been fantastic and Greg Thevenin (Delta) cut through that acrylic like he does it every day. Also Alberto and his friends provided the muscle needed for all the maneuvering of the heavy tanks. Thank you my friends.
And now for another dose of Pepto Bismol and I'm off to bed. Lots to do tomorrow.

Back