PETCO - Really shouldn't sell Marine livestock any Longer

Triggerfish

Non-member
Well.. took a year working there to fully realize "they" need to: Discontinue having anything to do with the retail sale of all marine livestock.

The conditions are wretched. Fish just die and die. Only the incredibly strong and resilient have any chance of surviving beyond 2 weeks.
The problems are literally endless.
The question could be asked:
"Are all Petco's locations handled the same way"? well, for the most part, probably they are. are they all as bad, perhaps not, but considering they all basically order the same fish species, hire similiarly working shmucks and follow same corp policy(overload tanks and sell what's in them); their an overall lost cause.

This is a store that will place any sick or injured land animal in a 'special' quarantine setup, but yet do nothing for any marine animal. Apparently Petco believes there is a lesser value on life for aquatic animals. Result is Death.
something to do with the corp labeling of "companion animal" has something to do with this i'm sure.

Regardless of the livestock origin, they are not cared for once they arrive.
Main Issues:
Compatibility: There is no attention given to fish that are continuously getting the snot wacked out of them within their small confined area.
nowhere to go, nowhere to hide, just embattled to a sufferring = Death.

Diet: Any species that will not regularly take to flake food will perish.
fish species requiring specialized attention to feeding. Result = Death.

Disease: Ich is rampant throughout the 180g system. New livestock is added weekly to the untreated infested system. Result = Death.

Marine Orders: constantly ordering species that have a zero survival record in the wretched system. Reef livestock placed in systems that cannot keep them alive. clams, anemones under old 40w NO bulb placed on top of salt sprayed encrusted glass tops. Result = Death

Staff: i'm going to estimate <1% of all employees/mgrs have any basic knowledge regarding care of marine livestock. Although not hired specifically for aquatic dept, any employee can find themselves back there attempting to bag away at any time. Result is Death as well.

For a good while i was only there 1 night week. During most of those weeks i could find any of the following:
Extreme temps due to main heater set to 90 or malfunctioning eaters in off-line tanks.
Sump running low
filter media loaded and clogged
reef tank filters clogged and not working.
Fish that have been decaying for days
Decaying seaweed clips. omg the smell alone could kill you.
Decaying anemones polluting the tank
Fish not fed (i have frozen food wrapped in freezer, same amount is always there)

Recommendations and notes have done nothing to date. Not sure what to do at this point..but i think some effort should go into challenging their statement below and relate it to how they care for the animals prior to sale.

"PETCO cares about animals as much as you do. In fact, there’s nothing we won’t do to make sure your pet gets the best food, toys, treats and the best care."
http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_communityhome_Nav_371.aspx

However, I won't be surprised if i am no longer there if the humble approach isn't well received. :D

Last edited:
Avon, had this huge Yellow tank Prolly 6" top to bottom in one of the tiny tanks.. It could barely turn around.

me nither.. and i usually direct miss guided newbs "NOT THAT IM SEASONED"
to skitons ect. the one in wobourn is even trying to sell coral.. the saddest green star polips you've ever seen for like $50. skiptons same for like $15
on the upnote you can really scam a great deal off some unknowing worker.
but the fish. ich ich n more ich.
another upside complain online. i got a 200$ gift card!!

i must admit.... i started this hobby out of petco. but at the time, my local one was great. there was a guy there who knew what he was doing (one) but every time i have gone in since they have made me angry. i have not bought form them in probalby close to a year (and i have only been in the hobby for a year and 9 months about). i no longer shop there, and i think it is wise that others dont. i have heard reports of some good petcos, but supporting that one is enough. the petco near me only has 10 gallon tanks that they keep large angles, tangs, butterflys, groupers, (even seen a moorish idol). it is rediculous and all the fish look unhealthy.
but the best way to stop it is to not buy form there.

PS: triggerfish: im assuming that was someone from petco who said that ick is caused my temp flucuations?

me nither.. and i usually direct miss guided newbs "NOT THAT IM SEASONED"
to skitons ect. the one in wobourn is even trying to sell coral.. the saddest green star polips you've ever seen for like $50. skiptons same for like $15
on the upnote you can really scam a great deal off some unknowing worker.
but the fish. ich ich n more ich.
another upside complain online. i got a 200$ gift card!!

you got a 200 dollar gift card for complaining?! hell, that is hwo we should bring them down. get free stuff and not spend any of our own money there. hahaha. too bad all the fish are dead and all the equiptment is realy bad

im not kidding online for customer service. a day later the manager called.
i have a petco card but i said i didnt use for the fish ect if it wasent on sale. gave me the card anyway..

true 25 for a brittle is no deal.. but it kept my cat fat.hehehe

Please dont even get me started.... The hanover store is run by a bunch of A**Monkeys... they would much rather see something Die then to reduce the price being someone may take it home and try to save it... Words right from the mgrs mouth... grrrrrrr I got home from there, E-Mailed the store HQ... with out a reply... No Surprize There. If that was the last place on earth to buy from, i'd sell out.

Please dont even get me started.... The hanover store is run by a bunch of A**Monkeys... they would much rather see something Die then to reduce the price being someone may take it home and try to save it... Words right from the mgrs mouth... grrrrrrr I got home from there, E-Mailed the store HQ... with out a reply... No Surprize There. If that was the last place on earth to buy from, i'd sell out.

I was there the other day; anenomes not moving lifeless colorless, and dead fish just sitting in the tank. So many of the tanks looked like the water wasn't even moving, not to mention some clowns that looked half eaten...:(

I've had mixed success with the local petcos. They seem to be the only place around I can get a cleaner neon goby for $9 (opposed to $20 at most places IF they have them...) You often can't beat the prices on clowns unless they are in bad shape. Also one being 10mins away vs 30 - 45mins away for the sponsers if its easier/cheaper to go in an emergency (I cracked a 10g tank so had to get something ASAP for example.)

That being said....

I have only been doing reef tanks for a few years so still a newbie, however some of the workers there sometimes really scare me. I used to be impressed if they ask me what's in my tank if I buy something salt or fresh to make sure it will work out, however often I will then ask them about their tanks... A few weeks back this was a response I got: "Well its not mine but my brother's, however he has in his 75g a grouper, lionfish, tang, hawkfish and trigger. He had a snowflake eel but it got out and died..." And she's questioning the two false percs I'm buying for a 29g??? I'm not making this up, I was totally amazed... :eek:

-Mike

I have been to the Petco in Norwood and I have to say that Paul in the fish dept is awesome. He also has his own business cleaning and maintaining tanks so he knows what he's doing. Unfortunately he only works thurdays. When I was setting up my tank, he spent alot of time with me and explained everything that I needed. So I cant speak for other Petco's, but the Norwood store is ok.

hey.. the last thing any of use should do in not complain. when i got the card right before i was about to march into pecto, sharpie the glass of the tanks with animal crulty slogans. what the price should be and a warning to others.

hey.. the last thing any of use should do in not complain. when i got the card right before i was about to march into pecto, sharpie the glass of the tanks with animal crulty slogans. what the price should be and a warning to others.

so in other wards..... the card worked and they bought you out:D lol

I don't necessarily support Petco. And I have bought some common fish from Petco with good results. I don't know why the bash Petco threads continue on. Its like beating a dead horse. We all know Petco is less than desirable. I have been in LFS's and seem a lot of problems, my solution I don't buy from them...Just my 2 cents...

ok on thursdays you mean?

No. I mean for the most part, the fish section is well maintained. Paul has trained the employees on what to do and all new fish are QT'd. I have been in and seen a dead fish but I have seen that in most of the fish stores.

lol i try not to sell out.<hippie in some regards. eh fine i sold out.. ill go tag there tanks this weekend after finals..but i did lose some stock before i learned..
other areas of selling out.. cable. see enough comercials that it should be free but we pay anyways.
same as the movies.

waight u got a petco gift card for doing what heck i need a protene skimmer. but anney way ya i got started in the hobby by one of teh guys in the dedham store jay he ran teh department he told me alot but i never ended up buying anney thing from petco thare to over priced i was thare today looking at skimmers and i saw a 70 dolar skimmer marked for 110 and a 80 dolar skimmer marked for 160 and they only have clown fish in thare tanks

all new fish are QT'd.

whoa..very interested in hearing how they do that. quarantined in what way do you know? i find that very hard to believe, that a petco would be setup with a quarantine system for new arrivals. space is so limited for stuff like that. i honestly do not think they put off selling livestock once it's unbagged.

Back