Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X17301601

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1507312642.462199.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They compared four different scenarios with differing ratios of N: P. High N: High P, High N: Low P, LN:LP, and LN:HP. So they can't really say at a certain ppb is phosphate limiting. They did conclude that at concentrations less than .18 micromolar with a ratio exceeding 22:1 N to P, did it become a limiting factor.

So, GFO reactors are starting to sound like a bad idea?
Not necessarily. Study talks about low being 0.006 μM (.00057 ppm this is a rough guess using someone else's calculator and using phosphorus Mu at 123.88 (m=4x30.97) I'm adding this so someone can correct this if I'm wrong)

Regardless, if your po4 is higher than generally accepted targets of .04ppm (ish on low nutrient systems. Or higher for non ulns) than granular ferric oxide (gfo) might be a useful tool. That said I never run gfo for more than a day or two. 1 cup of gfo in my tank (roughly 230g actual water)in a reactor with 1 cup of gfo will strip about .06ppm po4 in 48 hrs. After that it starts to deplete.

Last edited:
In short , can someone explain what this means in terms of hobby test kit results ? After reading this I sort of get it but Im not too sure . If I read this right higher phosphate levels can benefit the corals but only when nitrate are present in balanced levels

Not necessarily. Study talks about low being 0.006 μM (.00057 ppm this is a rough guess using someone else's calculator and using phosphorus Mu at 123.88 (m=4x30.97) I'm adding this so someone can correct this if I'm wrong)

Regardless, if your po4 is higher than generally accepted targets of .04ppm (ish on low nutrient systems. Or higher for non ulns) than granular ferric oxide (gfo) might be a useful tool. That said I never run gfo for more than a day or two. 1 cup of gfo in my tank (roughly 230g actual water)in a reactor with 1 cup of gfo will strip about .06ppm po4 in 48 hrs. After that it starts to deplete.
Thanks cause I was having this type issue and was losing corals. I have stopped treating and hopefully they will heal.

In short , can someone explain what this means in terms of hobby test kit results ?

Nothing. The levels in the low nutrient examples are far below the margin of error for hobby grade test kits.

Here's the deal in my opinion. This is a scholarly paper that's got some interesting results. It plays into recent theories that unls systems might be "starving" the organisms present BUT they are talking low nutrient levels that would be nearly impossible to achieve if one was feeding their tank even sporadically.

Is phosguard granular ferric oxide? If so then a small amount could temporarily and quickly strip most available po4 from a small system.

It's easy to toss a cup or 2 into a reactor and walk away but if water volume is < 100 g, po4 could get very low until the next cube of frozen food gets tossed in.

My system is about 230 gallons (actual water) and I never use more than a cup at a time.

I’ve never used gfo but I’ve seen there’s no real “ slow dose “ to it
U add a cup to a reactor and it consumes as much as it can until it’s exhausted.
You really have no control over it unless you’re testing it every few minutes. Then when it is exhausted, how do you know? You take a guess or you just change it on a schedule. Too many what ifs for me. I’ve always run a fuge to handle the Po4

Reactor flow through is the best way to control it. I have a manifold with a valve to control flow

To a point I think all this extra stuff is a marketing scheme. 15 years ago we didn’t worry about any of this and things grew quite well and colorful ( not saying new stuff doesn’t help ) I’m stuck in the past [emoji23]

Reactor flow through is the best way to control it. I have a manifold with a valve to control flow
I decided to fill directions and not use my reactor,I put some in a screen bag and dropped in sump and then the trouble began

Back