Please help I am a little worry?

Yariel0527

Non-member
I was doing my water change last night and when I finished I put the blade(utility knife blade) that I always used to clean my glass on top of the tank in the middle bracket and completely forget about it then I start to fixed and glue a few pieces of corals and I did drop the blade into the tanks but it went all of the way back of my rock work and I couldn't get the blade out. Now my ?
Will that make anything bad to my system at all?
There's anything that I should worry about?

i would not worry ......than again thats just me......i have drop a few screw or nail in tank

You need to get it out. There are two things you can do. You can either take out the rocks until you can find it, which I think is not a good option unless you have minimal rock work. Or you can buy a magnet on the end of a long tube, like mechanics use to retrieve bolts they have dropped. Just make sure if you do that, that the tool is not coated in grease or anything that could be toxic to your tank.

Don't think it would cause much damage even if left in. Gfo is almost the same thing and people use that. If you can get I with a mag then you don't need to worry about cutting your hand innthe tank.

I dropped a blade in the back of my tank, behind all my rocks once.

I used a magnetic pickup rod that I have to get it out (Its used to retrieve nuts and screws, when i used to work on my car).

You could do the same think by putting a magnet on the botton of a stick or rod and putting it in the tank where the blade fell.

I was not sure if this would cause any problems but I did not want to find out.

John

I don't think that it will be easy to find it between my 300 pounds of rock all of the way in the back glass.
I will wait a few days to see how everything looks but I am not going to be able to move the rock unless I remove all of them they weight from 20 to 30 pounds each so I will wait it will be the best thing to do now.

The nice thing about the magnet is that you don't have to be able to see the blade.

I just stuck the magnet down in between where the blade fell and after a minute or two of moving the magnet around it caught the blade and I just brought it back up.

John

I would try to look hard for it without disturbing the rock/sand bed. If you can find it great, if not it probably wont be the biggest deal depending on what the blade was made from

i would get it out . it wont do anything now or in a few weeks . but how about if starts to rust . if u need help i got nuthn going on today . ill come by in a few just pm me

I have heard of people who have dropped a few into their tanks, some have even rusted holes away in the blade with no ill effects to their tank, so if you don't find it, then its really up to you if you want to take the effort to get it out. But good luck with the magnet trick!!

also +1 on it being a lot like GFO

I'd take one of those blades and submerge it in some of your tank water inside a glass.It would be cool to know how long it takes to disappear.

The magnet trick didn't work and I am not dealing with my rock, so will let the time to take place on this.

Back