please help new reefer

jimw98

Non-member
I am new to this game lol....55 gal 6 months or so old. Nitrates and nitrites ph and amonia are all good....i am getting this stuff growing on my live rock and sand and i dont know if it is good. Please help

tried to get some ok pictures IMG_0575.jpgIMG_0574.jpgIMG_0580.jpgIMG_0578.jpgIMG_0576.jpg

Red looks like cyano, like the others said. Green looks like hair algae. Are you using ro /di water? If not you might want to start. Also cutting back in feedings and increasing flow might help. Looks like your getting some excess nutrients from somewhere ...just some suggestions from experience. Im sure others will chime in. Good luck!

Thank you everyone I will makes some changes and add more flow and cut back on the feedings....suggestions for a good ammount of power heads? This site is great!!!

if they are accessable, I wonder if it would be best for him to take some/few of the rock out and scrub it in a bucket of salt water?

Frank - That's exactly what I did to get rid of my hair algae.......took a little while, but scrubbing it out of the tank, combined with a good clean up crew and a lawnmower blenny cleared it all out.

Tank often go through an algea/cyano stage in the first yr.

Crank up the flow up,
Blow off the rock with a PH before water changes
water change to 25% weekly
make sure your skimmer is in good working order
siphon off any detritus
reduce feeding
....rinse and repeat.

Also check you top off water and salt mix water TDS and make sure it is Zero, if you are not using RO or RODI start using it

GFO should be a last resort and only used to put things back in order. If you can not manage your nutrient levels without it you are doing something wrong

Last edited:
I only have a riot 200 from an old filter not nearly enough so I am going to pick something else up...any suggestions that are decently priced i cant afford to spend 100's

what delta said. I'm going through similar outbreak but those steps seem to be helping me a lot. Im also adding a fuge to take out some of the nutrients

Thanks for the help I am slowly getting it under control...the cyano seems to displace every time i seem to get it under control...The flow seems good but it will move to under some live rock. Also the current is strong enought if I do not position the heads just right it starts to move my sand?

The hair algea is starting to get under control I have taken the rocks out scrubbed them uped my cleaning crew and reduced my feedings. Seems to be working I am looking for some Mexican turbo snails to keep the red hair algea in check.

Back