Pop-Eye Disease - Yellow Tang

Curren007K

Non-member
Background:
I just moved my 75G tank to a 180G I had set up ahead of time and cycled.
The old tank was in NY and the new tank is out here in MA.
All my fish in coral were in 5G buckets 4-5 hours during breakdown and travel.
Once at my house I set up a 44G brute bin for all the fish with a heater, air stone, and drip line.
The fish acclimated for 1.5 hours before being introduced to the tank. No nets were used, only a plastic specimen container.
I should mention the yellow tang traveled with a foxface lo in the same 5G bucket because they are inseparable tank-mates.
The parameters of the new tank are all on par.

The Problem:
After two days I noticed the Yellow Tang had developed a sort of peeling/bubbling of his left eye, outlined in red and extremely cloudy.
After some research it seems like Pop-Eye disease.
I quarantined the yellow tang in a separate 20G long for now and started a seven day treatment of Melafix which treats a range of bacterial infections.
Other than the eye, he seems to be maintaining stable breathing and swimming.
Our Tang's been around the longest, I hate for anything bad to happen. :(
If anyone can offer an advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Video Reference:
https://vimeo.com/150552837

Pictures:

Last edited:
My clown just had a case of pop eye. I couldn't set up a qt so I had to dose the main tank with melafix. After the 7 days he's back and better. Great stuff. Only issue is it made the skimmer go nuts but no ill effects on my reef. Hope your guy hangs in there. My clown went from laying on the sand gasping to slowly perking up by day 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're doing the best you can do by QT'ing and treating... Good luck...

Sunny the Yellow Tang didn't make it. Found him laying on the bottom of the quarantine tank this morning...

My best guess is there was some accidental trauma caused in the move that lead to the infection, I thought I caught it quick enough, but I guess it was too severe.

Back