Potassium levels

mrcote1

Non-member
Just got a salifert potassium test kit. I'm showing 330 ppm potassium which is very low from my understanding. Anyone know of a good product to use to raise potassium only that you have used and like?

Not really what you are asking, but IME / IMO outside of the big 3 (ca, alk, mg) it's usually cheaper and easier to just rely on a good, regular water change routine.

That said, yea, for just one element that I did have a test for I would be looking for a specific additive to make the correction. Then again, and here's part of why relying on water changes is good - you have no idea what else might be out of whack that you can't test for. Water changes kind of reset the clock on everything including the stuff we can't and or don't test for.

I do between 5% and 10% water changes every week. I use reef Crystal's salt and they apparently have lower potassium levels. That combined with my ULNS I think is why mine is low.

Dong used to make some homemade potassium. Brightwell probably has something

Didn't you just start dosing potassium nitrate to raise your nitrates? That should increase K as well.

I just got it in the mail. So not sure on that yet but what I've read people say it doesn't change potassium levels very much.

Are you saying it looked bad because of the use of Brightwells product? Or it looked bad and brightwells product fixed that?

Keep it simple. Fix one thing at a time if needed. Wait.....
Like I've said before, getting the main three(alk, ca, MG) in line and stable with good light and good filtration will go a very long way in this hobby.

I'm using aquaforest component 1+2+3+ for alk, ca and mg. Ive got my mg and Ca completely stable. I've almost got my alk dialed in. It varies about 0.3 DKH over a 2 week period. And I bought the reefbreeders lights and have very good filtration. So hopefully I'm on the right path then!

I will say do regular water before things fail.
You dont need to dose all those chemicals except calcium and alk. Those ABCDE are big money makers but reef salt is not. That is why those supplements are heavily promoted. It is a trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being in this industry, I can tell you that reef salt margin are very low, about 10 to 20% profit. Those ABCDE cost 10 cents to make but sell for $10 to $20.
If you truly believe in those so called “methods”, you are wasting a lot of money.

And you have less success than regular water change.

Being in this industry, I can tell you that reef salt margin are very low, about 10 to 20% profit. Those ABCDE cost 10 cents to make but sell for $10 to $20.
If you truly believe in those so called “methods”, you are wasting a lot of money.

And you have less success than regular water change.

So you dont dose at all?

I use calcium reactor, I change a lot of water frequently. I dont need to dose.

For people who dont use calcium reactor, dose calcium and alk is good enough.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back