Problem with adjusting ph

gobie1313

BRS Member
I noticed my zoas werent looking to happy. I tested my Ph at the LFS and they said it was very low, almost untraceable. So.... i added dkh over 5 days,
and subsequently it raised it too high. Ph is now 8.4
question
1. do i need to lower the ph , now that it is too high?
2. would the high ph cause my xenia elongata to close up( i've never seen it closed. It was open when the ph was very low. 1/2 my zoas are open and half closed. My yellow palys(daisies) are closed up (never have closed before even when ph was low)

8.4 isn't necessarily too high although it can very well be if it was done too abruptly. I like maintaining 8.3 myself. However, what did you use to increase the pH and what was the pH before you dosed whatever you dosed? If it increased more than just the pH, your best bet might be to just do a series of small water changes to gradually bring whatever else it buffered back down in addition to the pH. I'm willing to bet whatever you dosed did more than just increase the pH.

You should be testing for that alk level.

For now, ride it out and don't do anything.

Untraceable because? 8.2-8.4 is fine as a daytime ph. If it was low and you raised it in one shot it may stress them out but as jimmy said check your alk. What else did they test for?

Back