Problem with thriving corals. How to prevent them from spreading.

Dangger

Non-member
Hi. I have a problem. My corals keep thriving and spreading! I only have an 8 gallon BioCube, so space is a premium. I have no idea what people mean when they say base rock and whatever.. I just have zoas, etc spreading everywhere.. The different colors are mixing.

Do people just frag and propagate all the time? I don't wish to do this for profit. I don't wish to frag.. I just want them to fill up their little areas and not trespass onto other rock. Am I placing my corals incorrectly on rock I shouldn't? Is base rock just meant for... base? and am I suppose to place my coral on smaller round rock? Would a small round rock isolate a coral to not spread to another rock due to the vertical sides and lack of light near its bottom?

I see all these beautiful big tanks that are so crowded, but you can tell each coral has it's own space. I'm looking to contain the species onto it's own area.

Thanks for your advice.

I had the same problem. What a terrible problem [sarcasm]

I would frag them and exchange them for food and whatever i needed at the pet store. At one point I had enough salt and lights for 3 years. it was an all soft coral aquarium, so they grew like crazy. My tank would mantain itself. Lights, food, trace elemnts, the ocasional new pump, it was all covered by the growth of the corals.

Too bad i moved 4 times and the pics are in some box in the garage. I will find them someday. :)

Start fragging or else the faster growers will start to crowd out and more or less smother the slower growers. If you want to make it simple just get some rock rubble and place chunks stragetically so that the faster growers naturally grow onto the rubble making frags.

For an 8 gallon tank, it is better to limit how much coral in it so that the increasing bioload will not crash the tank. If you need hep frag the corals, please let me know and I will show you.

Back