Proposed new lime purchase

Dang it, I ordered oxide.
You wanna send it back? ;)
Sorry about the discrepancy. I know I ordered the more dangerous oxide though.

We should confirm which grade of Calcium Hydroxide it might be since "high calcium hydrated Lime" is really good stuff. Plus it's good thing to have magnesium oxide in the mix. What ever we got - it is more potent than Ms. Wages Pickling Lime - judging my my coughing this morning! Here are the three common of calcium hydroxide grades:

High calcium hydrated lime - high calcium quicklime produces a hydrated lime containing generally 72 to 74 percent calcium oxide and 23 to 24 percent water. (only slightly less potent than commerical CaO)

Dolomitic hydrated lime (normal) - under atmospheric hydrating conditions only the calcium oxide fraction of dolomitic quicklime hydrates, producing a hydrated lime of the following chemical composition: 46 to 48 percent calcium oxide, 33 to 34 percent magnesium oxide, and 15 to 17 percent water.

Dolomitic hydrated lime (pressure treated) - this lime is produced from dolomitic quicklime under pressure, which results in hydrating almost all of the magnesium oxide as well as all of the calcium oxide, producing the following chemical composition: 40 to 42 percent calcium oxide, 29 to 30 percent magnesium oxide, and 25 to 27 percent water.

Moe -
If you ordered oxide, that's as much as you could do.
The stuff will be fine for our purposes... and less dangerous in terms of heat.
It just won't last as long as described in the first few pages of this thread (and throughout the various discussions).

Mark -
That would be good information to have.
... and wear a mask for goodness sakes!

b

Howard, Gustavo has your bag o' lime. We figured Waltham would be easier for you than coming all the way out to Hudson.

This is probably a stupid question but would the recipe posted earlier be the same for this lime?

JayG -

That's exactly the point.

Until we figure out what grade of Calcium hydroxide we've actually got, no one can confirm what a decent recipe would be. One way to figure it out for yourself, if you can't wait, would be to mix up about 5 gallons... a teaspoon at a time... and see how many teaspoons it takes to bring the water to 12.8 pH. That's the saturation point, and no matter how much you add after reaching that pH... the pH will not rise (you'll just be wasting the product). So... whatever number of teaspoons/cups you arrive at to reach 12.8 pH for your a volume of water is your "recipe" using this particular Calcium. I would guess that it's somewhere just short of 1/4 cup for about 5 gallons (but don't quote me 'cause I have no idea what grade of stuff we've got.)

b

Moe, I'm around today. Let me know when you want me to come by and I'll pick up my lime(and throw a few bucks in for your gas money and trouble!)

Thanks for the info Bec. I'm new to the whole lime thing so I was a bit lost and did miss the point.

The package says maximum saturation (or something like that) is 650 mg/liter. Can't remember what it called that value, but it might give us a clue to the calcium percentage. cough, cough. :D

No problem Jay... that's why I wanted to point out the difference. Not as a complaint, but as a matter of fact for foks who might not immediately see the difference. We spent so much time talking about oxide that having something different in our hands seems to deserve a few minutes of explanation as well.

Mark -
Your lungs probably have the best idea what maximum saturation might be!
Seriously.. please be careful with this stuff.
Yeah.. I'm not at home right now, but if we can't clarify which grade we've got, I will probably perform the little test I suggested in my last post to see. In fact I guess that's what we should do anyway... and figure out the grade ourselves.

b

97vmax said:
Moe, I'm around today. Let me know when you want me to come by and I'll pick up my lime(and throw a few bucks in for your gas money and trouble!)
I'll be at work in Framingham until 5 pm. The lime is in the back of my pick up out in the parking lot. If you can make it here before 5, send me a PM and I'll get you instructions.
If not, then it might have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm in no hurry, just didn't want you to have to store it. PM me tomorrow or anytime this weekend and I'll come get it.

97vmax said:
I'm in no hurry, just didn't want you to have to store it. PM me tomorrow or anytime this weekend and I'll come get it.
Okay.
It'll be at my house in Hudson this weekend.
I should be around. I'll PM you.

>Be carefull it doesn't get rained on. I don't want your truck to melt<

:eek: :eek: Be kind of cool to watch though!!

Just so I can get an understanding here.
This stuff is hydroxide, not oxide. So it won't get hot when mixed...no melting trucks.
When mixing the calcium I usualy just dump in a bunch..I don't measure anything. What dissolves is used. What doesn't dissolve will settle to the bottom and be used in the next batch. Right?

Stanley & 97Vmax: give me a call and we can make arrangements for a pick up.
I'm available tonight and the rest of the weekend.
617-201-0703

Got my lime from Jason today, thanks for picking it up for me! Thanks again Moe, this is alot of lime. I guess I'll be waiting the results of the test from bec since I don't have a ph test kit that goes that high......

Back