Protien skimmer for 125?

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Hi all,

I think I'm coming back in a few months with a FOWLR tank.
My 125 is currently empty, save for sand and rock.

I have an ASM G4 skimmer that sat in the sump (Rubbermaid trough) in the basement.
Never really pleased with it. I didn't think it did a good enough job, though that may have been due to inadequate water flow from display to sump, and varying water level in the sump. The sump's water level fluctuated quite a bit. No baffles in the trough.

My new plan is to have the sump right under the tank. Smaller sump. Much smaller.

What's a good, reasonably priced, protein skimmer that'll work in a small sump under my tank? I think I've got 24" under the display, maybe more. Remember this is for a 125 gal tank. I'd like to spend less than 300 bucks.

If you think I should just go with the ASM G4, let me know.

Why not do a recirc/gate mode on that G4 and run it off you overflow?
I think you would be surprised at the difference.

Moe I just bought the Super Reef Octopus SSS(Size Saver Skimmer????) Its an in sump design, and has the pump underneath. I love this thing. It is built well, and is very quiet. It comes with the BubbleBlaster pump with a three year warr. Bobbofin has a write up about it, and after that made up my mind.

Good luck, and its under $300, I think 290??

You need an ATO and or baffles in the sump so that level will be consistent. No skimmer will perform well in a varying water level.

The avast DIY cone kit would be an option for your set up if you added an ATO and or baffles of some sort (cheap and about the right size). Otherwise there are endless skimmer options these days. What are your priorities?
-set up cost
-operating cost
-space limitations
-desire to have the newest gadget vs whatever works
-other???

What are your priorities?
-set up cost
-operating cost
-space limitations
-desire to have the newest gadget vs whatever works
-other???
1. Purchase cost
2. Cost to operate
3. Space limitations

That's about all.

Moe I just bought the Super Reef Octopus SSS(Size Saver Skimmer????) Its an in sump design, and has the pump underneath. I love this thing. It is built well, and is very quiet. It comes with the BubbleBlaster pump with a three year warr. Bobbofin has a write up about it, and after that made up my mind.

Good luck, and its under $300, I think 290??

I couldn't agree more. I got a XP1000-SSS for my 60 cube and love it.

If you want an el-cheapo needle wheel, I have a skimmer that would work for you (half your budget, probably). It works really well with the OTP needle wheel pump I fit it with.

if you want to go new, I had great luck with an Octopus that Gustavo meshed for me.

These days skimmer's are slightly better than a few yrs ago, but you'll pay a premium for premium performance. Cones, super low watt pumps, and Bling factor are the things that seem to drive skimmer prices lately.

The ironic thing is that your old euro reef rates pretty high based on your priorities :) There are great deals to be had on used slightly outdated skimmers. Cones and other newer skimmers will run you a premium for the most part, but they tend to be the most efficient. Back off a bit on "max effiency" and you can save a ton on initial cost.

one other thing, you need to have a needle wheel in a consistent water level, or it is NEVER going to produce skimmate with any regularity

one other thing, you need to have a needle wheel in a consistent water level, or it is NEVER going to produce skimmate with any regularity

Third that. If you aren't super concerned about a few $$'s on your electric bill, your old euro reef might be your answer, just get it set up right :D

Back