what to use to raise level of protien skimmer

rnyce

Non-member
hi guys,
i have my protein skimmer in a big 75 gallon sump. i want to raise its level so i can add more water to the sump. I was wondering what people use to do it?
i was thinking ceramic floor tiles but not sure if that is safe for the tank?
thanks

that is what i have in there now, but its not really stable, i want to use something heavy that will just sit there and not get off kilter when i reach in?

I use egg crate with 2" PVC legs in my 100 gallon stock tank but I have a 12" diameter skimmer that weighs a lot when full so it doesn't move around.

PVC structure, or rubbermaid container full of sand usually works well.

+1 to eggrate with PVC legs or construct an eggcrate box with zip ties to fit nicely into that compartment of the sump.

+1 to eggrate with PVC legs or construct an eggcrate box with zip ties to fit nicely into that compartment of the sump.

Same here,made mine with eggcrate and pvc zip tied.
It sits on the inner shelve of my Rubbermaid 75 gallon live stock tank.

hi guys,
i like the eggcrate idea.
that should work well for me too.
Thank you

I use egg crate with 2" PVC legs in my 100 gallon stock tank but I have a 12" diameter skimmer that weighs a lot when full so it doesn't move around.

Same here, have Octo XP1000-SSS in a 10" deep sump. Used some egg crate and PVC couplings to raise skimmer to optimum 8" deep water level. Drilled holes in PVC and zip tied them on.

Why raise the skimmer for? does it do anything good for the tank?

Depends on the skimmer and water levels in your sump. Some skimmers will perform optimally at certain water levels. If the water level is too high in the sump, you can raise the skimmer to its optimal water level.

Depends on the skimmer and water levels in your sump. Some skimmers will perform optimally at certain water levels. If the water level is too high in the sump, you can raise the skimmer to its optimal water level.

I didnt know that!
Does the ASM skimmer requires that? Just wondering.....

Back