Pufferfish help

Kraken

BRS Member
Hi guys,

Does anyone have, or know anyone that has experience with trimming puffer fish teeth?

Some background info 8-10” Narrow lined puffer (non aggressive) let’s me pet him lol
But his teeth are longer than I like, so I wanted to see if anyone could advise me on best method or I’d pay someone to do it if they are that confident

My vet is a fish geek, you can also feed them clams and shelled foods that will naturally file down the teeth. I feed my south American puffers snails and I havnt had to touch the teeth in over a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Does anyone have, or know anyone that has experience with trimming puffer fish teeth?

Some background info 8-10” Narrow lined puffer (non aggressive) let’s me pet him lol
But his teeth are longer than I like, so I wanted to see if anyone could advise me on best method or I’d pay someone to do it if they are that confident
Seconded! I've got a puffer that only eats with one side of his mouth. No biggie for the last year, but now the side he doesn't use to chew is badly over grown. Even snails and hard foods aren't helping. He uses the filled side instead. He's close to having some serious eating trouble... Been thinking it's time for puffer dentistry.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My vet is a fish geek, you can also feed them clams and shelled foods that will naturally file down the teeth. I feed my south American puffers snails and I havnt had to touch the teeth in over a year.

Abrooks where is your vet located?and would he go on location?

He works in Dedham but I think he lives on the south shore. I can email him tomorrow?

Which clams and snails do you guys recommend? I currently feed a mix of food with shrimp with the shell on

Which clams and snails do you guys recommend? I currently feed a mix of food with shrimp with the shell on
I have a porcupine puffer. Never had a teeth problem. He eats my clean up crew (to the point that I was pissed that all my snails kept dying). He eats mussels, steamers, etc. Thin shelled stuff, oysters are a bit much.

I'd buy a clean up crew from from reef cleaners and let him go to town for a couple of nights. Mine goes hog wild the first night. My sand is littered with shells after the first night. I would do this before I sedated him to trim his teeth. That is very stressful.

Here’s a pic of his teeth

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 229
I feel the teeth are not large enough yet to have to sedate and trim but just asking for opinions. I feel I am still in time for snails and mussels to do the trick

I feel the teeth are not large enough yet to have to sedate and trim but just asking for opinions. I feel I am still in time for snails and mussels to do the trick
I think adding hard shells to the diet will work fine, doesn't look like an issue to me.

Here's what I've found.
The Odd Pet Vet, Dr. Mertz. He is located in Weymouth and their phone number is 781-682-4878. He is located at the New England Wild Life center

Back