Pump advice...

cfd65

Non-member
Been having trouble with my brs gfo carbon reactor. It works great for about a week then the gfo is hardly tumbling and the flow from the line is a trickle. I have the pump that came with the reactor which obviously isn't strong enough. Reactor is about 3' higher than the sump and 3' away with approximately 4' return line. Any suggestions on a stronger pump

Is it a dual or single reactor? are you using both gfo and carbon? if so what ratio you are using? I have a single using both and just running it with a mj1200 with no problem

It's the dual reactor.. running 10 tbsp brs high capacity gfo and 8 tbsp carbon approximately 100 gallons of water between display and sump

Those little pumps are realy ment for in sum work. When you add lots of line or head hight it takes alot of flow away. Small dc maybe? That way you can ramp it up at things clog up

What model is the pump that comes with these reactors?

Something may be wrong with your pump (or the quality has changed). I’ve used multiple MJ 1200’s over the years to run reactors and uvlights. I’m using one now on a single reactor that goes down a couple feet and then back up.

Mj1200 should be fine to run the reactor as that's what sold with it

Here’s the specs on the pump. So it shouldn’t have a issue pumping up 3 feet since you realistically only need 30-50 gph going through the reactor to tumble the gfo.
A067045C-C2FE-4F77-B327-0B4FF68288F4.png

Check the tubing, some gfo can get into it and clog the water flow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll check the tubing... due to change out gfo and carbon tomorrow anyways... I think it mat be a pump issue though... all reviews I've read say pump is more than enough and most had to gate back their ball valve.. where mine has always been wide open right out the box... have had it over a year but same issue since day 1 works for about a week then stream is weak

If the pump works about a week then become weak, it is very likely due to clogged tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back