need some advice an what I need to buy for a sump-overflow-skimmer-return pump...

BackInTheTank

Non-member
Hi I have a 90 gal aga ... it has been up and running 5-6 months... looking into leaving the canister and trading up too a sump w/ref...

so my question is what exactly do I want ... size ... make .. of sump- skimmer-return pump-overflow box

I am looking into def. getting Continuous Siphon Overflow ... is this a good brand?

when it comes to the sump.. I am lost... I def. want a big one incase I step up my tank size later on... any suggestions on brand and size?

skimmer-- need to know my options for a good skimmer with a good price.. in sump style...?

and then there is the return pump... what size do i need... what brand ..

If anyone could lend a newbee some advice.. would be great.... I am really lookng to switch real soon .. I am actually excited about getting it up and running..
MAN THIS IS SO ADDICTING BUT I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT... TY FRED

I am looking into def. getting Continuous Siphon Overflow ... is this a good brand?

I did not like mine . Due to lack of mait . Out of sight out of mind . I let it get clogged in the airline connection on the top with coraline algae .
U have to have air pump on it like a aqua lifter .

E Shop ? overflow . Noisy but remedied it with some silencer I got from PA . As long as u do not break the siphon on the u tube it starts back up on it's own . U do have to stick in airline tubing and prime it .
Once it's running it's good to go

If ur going to convert this tank and you can get it empty go with a glass holes overflow .

Use pool drain tubing for the drain . U see them with aftermarket wet dry filter's .

Skimmer's

Look at Euro reef , skimz ,octopus , swc , i tech, deltec . vertex . Had them all loved them all except the vertex . (first gen pump issues ) . When it ran . it skimmed good .

Return pump . Eheim all the way... model 1260 ...

Still in the closet ..saving for next build . Use hard pipe or soft black pond tubing . 3/4 inch connected to a return fitting . Make sure to drill a anti- siphon hole .

So when u cut the main pump off it stop's a flood from occuring under the tank.

Sump DIY . Use acrylic for partitions not glass .

Go to petco and get a 40 breeder when they have a 1.00 per gallon sale .

Go to a glass shops that sells acrylic . Measure ur sizes in the tank u bought . Do not measure one spot and think

it all be the same . It will not be . Most tanks are irregular from left to right on depth (f to r)

Now if it needs to be plug and play .. just say so please . Don't forget to leave ur budget so it makes it easier to assist in product choices .

HTH

Last edited:
Back