Purigen cleaning procedure

aiaman

Non-member
ok, so I cheat a little and use a small packet of Purigen to my exterior ehiem canister filter. The packet is the color of malted milk balls and needs to be cleaned.
real clear/clean water column
I was told to use a 1:1 water/bleach solution & soak for 5-6 hours or longer
but what is used to neutralize the bleach?
is this safe to do or should I just buy a new packet?

I use purigen all the time in my tank and do 1:1 bleach as directed. Afterwards, just go through several rinses and soak in some water with a capful of Prime added. Prime eliminates chlorines and chloramines, which are the potential toxins from the bleach. I haven't had any issues at all from it by doing this.

I use purigen all the time in my tank and do 1:1 bleach as directed. Afterwards, just go through several rinses and soak in some water with a capful of Prime added. Prime eliminates chlorines and chloramines, which are the potential toxins from the bleach. I haven't had any issues at all from it by doing this.

I second that. I have purigen in My caister also. I have never had an issue. awesome filter media...

I also use Purigen and have regenerated my packets several times. The most important thing I can recommend is that you use Prime to remove the chlorine. Don't use other water conditioners because they will ruin the packets and smell horrible. I tried a different water conditioner once, and it slimed my Purigen. I contacted Seachem, and they told me that Purigen was designed to be used with Prime, other conditioners can give you unpredictable results.

I buy the Purigen in the prepackaged pillow so I just drop the whole thing into the bleach/water mixture. I think you could do the same with the mesh bags.

You can buy Prime at most LFS. I don't know about places like Petco, but you could call first.

I buy the Purigen in the prepackaged pillow so I just drop the whole thing into the bleach/water mixture. I think you could do the same with the mesh bags.

You can buy Prime at most LFS. I don't know about places like Petco, but you could call first.

That is what I meant...good to know I can just drop it in the mixture. Thanks.

I have it in "The Bag" and the same method works, though I find having it in The Bag makes it much easier to rinse fully as there's more wiggle room for the purigen. You should be able to find Prime at a LFS. If not, order it online. Just search seachem prime and tons of options will come up. I've only ever used prime for dechlor, so I can't say if any other products would suffice, but Prime's pretty inexpensive and works quite well.

Back