Purigen? what is it?

SteveDola

Good Tings
BRS Member
i had never heard of this "wonder" media but my father brought it to my attention the other day when someone at the local store told him it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. What is it? does anyone use it? is it for fish only tanks?

Give me the lowdown-

It's an organic adsorption media. Basically, more or less a synthetic GAC. I always thought it was a bit pricey, but seems to work well. Some say it will possibly bind some slightly different compounds than GAC, but more or less similar. I haven't seen any experiments though.

It is rechargeable with some bleach and water .
U know when it is exhausted cuz it turns a brown color and u do not have to log it in a spread sheet or note book .

I bought a can of it couple 4 years ago.....never opened it...rechargable was a benifit.....Marc T (marco) turned me on to it way back....he used when he had his store open & he loved it.

thats what my father did, bought a bag but hasnt used it yet. His tank looks fine and told him if it isnt broke dont fix it.

I have used it in the past on a fish only system. works so well it almost replaces the skimmer. when you add it the skimmer has nothing left to pull from the water! I don't mean to say that it is a "wonder" product but it DOES do what it says it does.

Steve, I was the one who told your dad about it. I have been using it for over a year and swear by it. I tend to overfeed heavily. I attribute a lot of my luck to it. Long story short my opinion on it is that it is a super powered rechargeable organic sponge without negative side affects.

I have 2 small mesh bags with Purigen. I use 1 with my canister filter (no sump) & 1 while the other is soaking in bleach. When it turns tan/brown I replace with other bag, after it is thoroughly neutralized then put the used 1 to clean in the bleach. Great product, helps me keep my tank water column clean . I have noticed my Tunze skimmer rather cleaner than prior.

After soaking it in bleach you vampire in water? I run gfo , carbon and phosban. Would this product be all that I would use? Saving $$$. Sorry for hijacking your thread

I had some a few years ago. I didn't notice any obvious improvement in my system, but I ran it with GAC, not instead of. I thought the regeneration instructions called for soaking in bleach then soaking in prime though? Prime isn't that cheap. How much do you have to use?

That's not bad and alternating between a few bags sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll have to try it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just be very careful with regenerating this stuff.

I have been using it for awhile, and it seems to work better than GAC, but that is a totally subjective observation. I have not attempted to regenerate it yet, but people have had problems, as evidenced by doing some online research. The old instructions were incomplete, or incorrect (I can't remember which), and some people nuked their system. If you go on the Seachem forum, they have updated instructions for the regeneration procedure. I don't know if there is any way you can tell if you have the updated instructions with the product you've purchased or not.

If I remember correctly, the only update was that there was more rinsing recommended.

My one recomendation with regenerating is use way more prime than you need. And be sure to smell it. if you smell any bleach rinse again. purigen and prime have a distict smell imo. it take a little getting use to but have faith..

I use 1/2 water & 1/2 bleach, place the bag in a canning jar, fill & seal. Leave until white again. Drain & rinse several times in plain water. I then use Prime at 10 drops (2drops is good for 1gal usually-but it's cheap). Soak for a few hours and rinse again then the smell test. At 1st I was scared but it works fine for my 36g tank. I used carbon before as I don't have a sump but no carbon now. Levels are low or negligent.
Purigen us cheap and reusable

I have used Purigen for years, and love it. I keep a bag in each tank. When it turns brown, I regenerate it with a bleach and water soak in a small container. The most important thing I have learned with the regeneration is that you have to use Prime. Any other bleach remover will make it smell really foul. A small bottle of Prime will last a long time since you only need a few drops each time. I don't use any carbon in my tanks.

Ive used for years now. It is a nice insurance policy just in case something goes wrong, does allow you to feed heavier, and keep good water parameters.

Does it keep absorbing things after it's been wet for a while? GAC supposedly doesn't do much after it's been wet for more than a day.

Back