Purigen? what is it?

I keep it in a high flow area until it turns brown, the more water passing through the bag, the better. Sometimes it's a month or two before I regenerate it depending on the tank. I have never noticed any changes in my water conditions that make me think it's not working as it gets older.

Does it keep absorbing things after it's been wet for a while? GAC supposedly doesn't do much after it's been wet for more than a day.

RE: GAC, you may want to look at
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/aafeature1

For example, from simulations using Hydrocarbon2, they conclude:
"Under conditions of aggressive DOC removal (skimming, water changes, GAC use), the GAC charge should last over a month, but under more passive nutrient removal husbandry (no skimming? no frequent water changes?), the GAC charge will be depleted in just a few days."

I think one thing that was left out though was bacterial colonization. GAC, as does purigen, works by surface adsorption. The capacity is determined by the available surface area, however, if the surface area is reduced due to say colonization by bacteria, or buildup of detritus, the capacity or at least efficiency may be reduced. So, I would suspect the actual time may be lower than the theoretical calculations suggest, however, that is speculation.

I don't believe anyone has done an experiment with purigen, so, it is unlikely anyone can answer that. Certainly if the color doesn't change, that suggests that the capacity is available, however, is it really available? or has access to that surface, for adsorption just been impeded? For example, the color RO/DI resin may indicate it is still good, however, a TDS meter shows it isn't. Perhaps this is due to channeling for example and the water isn't contacting that surface. It's intriguing though to have some sort of indicator nevertheless.

Last edited:
Back