PVC repair

MarkSzy

BRS Member
Hello all, so after starting my water test on my new tank and all the joints I ended up with one leak. It is where I would have to order parts so I am hoping someone out there has had the same issue and has a solution. Unfortunately it is where I had to put two fittings together so I don't have room to just cut and replace the piece. any help would be great, thanks

Can you just glue it?
I am under the impression just adding PVC glue wont do the trick because the glue kind of melts the joints together? I could be wrong but I have always heard that's not possible, it way work because it is a fitting to fitting joint.

Can you take pics? I’m having a tough time understanding what you’re needing to do.

Whenever that happened with my plumbing, I tried glue first and if that didn't solve it and the leak was small enough, I just used silicone and called it a day.

the joint in question is circled in red
IMG_6214.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6214.JPG
    IMG_6214.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 153
Whenever that happened with my plumbing, I tried glue first and if that didn't solve it and the leak was small enough, I just used silicone and called it a day.
did you use any other type of compression on top of it? like that rubber tape?

I thought silicone wouldn't stick to PVC?

I have two unions, one on the right side and one after the Y one the left.

PVC is cheap save yourself the headache and redo it. make sure to use clear primer on all connections before you glue them as this softens the PVC so your glued joints seal properly

PVC glue/cement probably will solve that. If it doesnt, silicone might and if it ever does leak again, replace it as Cpage recommends. That is what I would do but everyone has different tolerance levels for risk and frustrations of re-doing things.

Also it appears this connection is over your sump right? I would be even less concerned in that case to use glue or silicone.

Last edited:
PVC is cheap save yourself the headache and redo it. make sure to use clear primer on all connections before you glue them as this softens the PVC so your glued joints seal properly
It’s the thought of how much time I took to do it with primer and glue to have one joint fail, what happens it two-three fail next time? I was hoping for a way to fix it before doing it all over again.

It’s the thought of how much time I took to do it with primer and glue to have one joint fail, what happens it two-three fail next time? I was hoping for a way to fix it before doing it all over again.
if you prime and put glue on both pieces there should not be any chance of leaks IMO. you can try to inject glue in the joint of silicone but it may only be temporary. always make sure to twist connections when you put them together this disperses the glue evenly when you push them together.

How bad is the leak? It looks like it's right over the sump, so you might be able to try to patch it and if it doesn't work it would just end up in the sump anyhow. If it works then you're all good.

So here is why I am hesitant, the amount of fittings and joints will suck to replicate.
8414D981-A777-4EEF-A06C-E0E75A8AA6D4.jpeg

How bad is the leak? It looks like it's right over the sump, so you might be able to try to patch it and if it doesn't work it would just end up in the sump anyhow. If it works then you're all good.
You are right it is over the sump but it is part of my return lines, if it fails fails I could be in trouble.

they make a tool you could cut between the 2 fittings and bore it out and glue in a new piece. I just had to use this to drill out my sink drain coming out of the wall. Better than having to redo the whole thing.

Back