Qt protocol question

Zirky

Non-member
I’ve finally set up qt tank and stocked it with 12 green chromis (thank you Domanic) it has copper power in it and I’ll start ramping up to recommend levels tomorrow a was planning on using seachem metroplex added to there food along with focus. I was about to add a few bioballs I’ve had soaking in my sump for the last month or so and just realized that any parasites in my display could be transferred. Will the cp and metroplex take care of this?
595436F3-4905-4F62-A052-D963D31BC3C9.jpeg

If you want to be 100% clean qt you should use a bacteria starter and water changes till the filter catches up. Adding something from your display that isn’t parasite/disease free does defeat the purpose. Not saying that the QT process won’t address/kill it but the timelines associated with QTing are based on life cycle so adding an ich cyst is “off cycle” per say. But I def defer to Bobby on the level of risk it adds

Wow that was quick. Thanks guys. I’m a little embarrassed I didn’t think of this till now. I just scrubbed up a couple dried up rocks and am soaking them in microbacter7. Also I’ll check out humblefish forum.

I will say you've picked some challenging fish to QT. Uronema is "in season" right now and chromis are highly susceptible to it.

I would dose metro every 24 hours for 14 straight days, and also begin lacing it in the fish food.

any parasites in my display could be transferred
I might be wrong or confused. If you are going to quarantine new fish and once the quarantine is over, you will be putting them into the display with the parasite you think you might have had in the bioballs? If you did end up putting the bioballs and lets say they did have some sort of parasite, and the quarantine process did infact kill what ever parasites the bioballs might have had, you will be putting the fish back in the display that might have some sort of parasite kinda defeating the propose of quarantining.

Good point. I wonder though if part of the benefits of quarantine process isn’t to get the fish eating and healthy in a stress free environment. Treat sickness outa the display. And cull the heard a little. But again first attempt here.

Good point. I wonder though if part of the benefits of quarantine process isn’t to get the fish eating and healthy in a stress free environment. Treat sickness outa the display. And cull the heard a little. But again first attempt here.
That would be more like an observation period and a hospital tank.
It's never too late to start to quarantine. If you already have an established tank with fish and corals and you never quarantined you might be wasting your time but at least you won't introduce something new.

I wonder though if part of the benefits of quarantine process isn’t to get the fish eating and healthy in a stress free environment.
This is an excellent reason to quarantine, even if you do not plan on using any medications.

Most fish arrive to us in poor shape, and benefit from a destress period with all the food they can eat without any competition. Before being added to a DT full of fish less than thrilled about the new guy's arrival. ;)

Just a quick update. I’ve been changing two gallons a day adding metro to tank and food and maintaining copper at 2-2.5 ish. I did add a few bio boll’s and still struggling to keep ammonia at zero. Ten of the twelve have been active and feeding from the start. One of the two that weren’t eating is doing better but still one runt hasn’t left his corner but he’s not dead yet and hasn’t gotten any worse. Oh ye I’ve been feeding calanus, reef chilli and selcon for medicated and started the same frozen minced seafood (bounty of the sea) that I feed my display.

I had the opportunity to add a magnificent foxface to my tank today so I added the chromis to my display a few hours before sunrise this morning to free up my emt. and have never had a more stress free experience adding fish. I wish had a qt/ conditioning/emt tank all along I know I rushed a bit I’ll be more pacient next time
4076D32C-D070-40CA-9F4B-9CFE82DF2325.jpeg

Last update just to share my experience. After adding all but one of the chromis to my display one of the ten was looking sickly but the rest were the fastest, most aggressive eaters in my tank. after a day the one fish that wasn’t doing well was so bad off he was easy to net. I put him back in qt where he was very very shy but eating. I really didn’t think he was gonna survive. After a week or so the runt passed and I figured it was time. so I added him to the display and he immediately joined the pack and is doing great. Seems these guys really need the shoal. There are 9 outa 12 left so I call them the little league. Next attempt copperband.

Last update just to share my experience. After adding all but one of the chromis to my display one of the ten was looking sickly but the rest were the fastest, most aggressive eaters in my tank. after a day the one fish that wasn’t doing well was so bad off he was easy to net. I put him back in qt where he was very very shy but eating. I really didn’t think he was gonna survive. After a week or so the runt passed and I figured it was time. so I added him to the display and he immediately joined the pack and is doing great. Seems these guys really need the shoal. There are 9 outa 12 left so I call them the little league. Next attempt copperband.
Awesome. Nothing is quite like a shoal of chromis. They are beautiful.

I have another ten chromis comming in this week and a pair of helfrichs fire fish. I’m setting up a second small qt for the fire fish. Does anyone know if the fire fish have any sensitivity to copper power or any other medication?

Just a quick update. I’ve been changing two gallons a day adding metro to tank and food and maintaining copper at 2-2.5 ish. I did add a few bio boll’s and still struggling to keep ammonia at zero. Ten of the twelve have been active and feeding from the start. One of the two that weren’t eating is doing better but still one runt hasn’t left his corner but he’s not dead yet and hasn’t gotten any worse. Oh ye I’ve been feeding calanus, reef chilli and selcon for medicated and started the same frozen minced seafood (bounty of the sea) that I feed my display.
If they die. They weren't strong enough. It's okay. Your goal strong fish and healthy reef

Back