Ques. (Question of the Day) Controller or no controller

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
Do you chose to have a controller or no controller and reasoning why?

I chose to have a controller for the piece of mind when I’m not around but realistically it really won’t help a ton if I or someone that knows the system is around to correct the problem. Other than that it’s a good monitoring system and a new toy to play with.

I got an original APEX when I realized it could replace about a dozen timers, PH monitor/ controller, temp controller (never trust an aquarium's internal thermostat), and provide some integrated failsafe protection for the Kalk drip that I've almost always used. Back then it was a PITA to set up and I needed help from another, more tech savy reefer. Once set up, priceless. IMO actually one of the better reef purchases I've made over the years. Also nice that mine is still working great after at least 10 years.

But yes, if something does go wrong, someone needs to be there to fix it and no normal tank sitter can handle that.

No controller. With a system my size that’s reached stability, I go with routine water changes. As well as water top offs. I don’t find a controller necessary.

Last edited:
I will add, I've never tried automated testing and dosing, and honestly I would never (or not at least for a very long time) trust that sort of thing. Too easy for test error or reagent issue to lead to potential big problems IMO. Automated Kalk and a bit of two part, if needs change I need to adjust manually and I want it that way.

I will add, I've never tried automated testing and dosing, and honestly I would never (or not at least for a very long time) trust that sort of thing. Too easy for test error or reagent issue to lead to potential big problems IMO. Automated Kalk and a bit of two part, if needs change I need to adjust manually and I want it that way.
You can control the % it changes so nothing happens fast...

I run both APex and the Redsea Reefbeat for monitoring and testing. I love it and wouldnt set up a tank without some type of web-based control. The daily testing for stability monitoring is so clutch. I do test every couple weeks with Salifert and hannas to confirm but so worth the cost, especially with ABC reagents.

Always ran my systems without the fancy gadgets mainly due to being the only working parent, now that my daughters are adults, I run a full GHL setup minus the Ion Director. Lights, controller, dosers, KH director for data of alkalinity. It's nice to log into and see what's happening at home when away. For those wondering, get a wireless or wired camera to see inside you sump as well.

For me it's a controller all the way. I've used 1 since DA came on the market now I run an Apex. It makes the hobby more interesting to me and WAY EASIER. Auto water changes was the best upgrade I have made to my system Go DOS! There are so many options that a controller gives you that would be a huge PITA without. Feed modes, Controlling powerheads, monitoring tank stats, controlling light cycles, you can go on and on about the benefits.

And its 1 of the best ways to keep an eye on your tanks performance.

Would never run a tank without an apex. Have used apex’s for over 10 years. Everything on my tanks is automated including my mixing station. I have a 180 aggressive with an apex that I have set up for water changes with the dos pumps, ato. My 90 gallon reef has everything automated, dosing, auto water changes, trident, ato etc. my apex for my reef upstairs prevented a fire in my house a number of months ago by detecting a leak onto an outlet and stopping everything and notifying me. There is a cost upfront for the equipment but it’s peace of mind to protect your investment

I didn’t run a controller in the past and didn’t have great luck, it also could have been I was young and inconsistent in how I took care of my tank. Now I run and APEX and probably pay to much attention but the controller helps with the small day to day things which in my opinion makes the hobby easier. I have two small kids so if I can automate something I will.

Last edited:
From my real life experience from my customers, there were several tank crashes with thousands of $ of coral wiped out by linking Trident to dosing pumps. Hopefully other controllers perform better.

My GHL+KH director+dosers were setup for more peace of mind than anything. I want to be sure my dosing is happening and that my levels are steady every day, even if I can't do manual testing, but I still manual test and recalibrate my pumps and probes every 2-4weeks.

I do utilize level sensors and an overflow sensor to try and avoid anything catastrophic from happening. I've already had these save my a** once while I was out of the house so I will always use a controller if nothing else than for this.

I ended up with a piecemeal system with pH probe (+relay, not used atm), wifi doser, and 2nd/3rdhand Digital Aquatics RKL, plus smart plugs to control it all at the switch. Cheapish and works, but next tank I will spend up for a full integrated controller with Alk etc testing onboard. I trust the machines more than distracted me!

Smart power strips + Alexa control is awesome though, will keep that part or equivalent. With a camera on the sump, I’ve been able to successfully vacation for up to 2 weeks with this setup. But an integrated controller would likely be safer there and provide more remote troubleshooting control.

From my real life experience from my customers, there were several tank crashes with thousands of $ of coral wiped out by linking Trident to dosing pumps. Hopefully other controllers perform better.
Had my trident controlled dosing set up for years. What I have seen on other forums with issue to wipe outs and controlled dosing is when the dosing is set people leave the percentages open way to far to allow for a quick change in dosing. If people shorten these percentages and the range of the test is outside the percent change you will get a notification of it which will let you correct it manually. Also when it’s outside the test range the apex defaults back to the schedule the user inputted from the start.

Using the trident controlled dosing task it walks people through these options and explains the above.

Actually these incidents were mostly due to malfunctions, not related to settings.

Actually these incidents were mostly due to malfunctions, not related to settings.
While I’m sure there are some malfunctions absolutely, nothing works 100%. I guess what I’m trying to say is that if the apex is installed correctly and programmed with failsafes, even with some malfunctions the system has failsafes to prevent catastrophe. I had an apex brain malfunction under warranty a few years ago and with the malfunction the systems fail safes ie only pumps running for xxxx seconds before shutting down still worked. With that being said I do have wet sensors and manual backup floats to prevent catastrophe.

While the apex is just a tool that can fail, I don’t think everyone fully understands its capabilities and fails to put these failsafes in the programming when installing it on there tanks.

It’s a great tool that can make reefing much easier than it was 5, 10, 15 years ago

Back