Recommended vortech(s) for my tank

mason90

Non-member
Was wondering what people recommend for vortechs for tank I have a mixed reef and its a 90 gal want to be able to potentially upgrade to a bigger tank but that wouldn't be for a little while what do people recommend? Mp40s?... One or 2 of those for now or 2 mp10's

Thanks mason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 40's on my 120 and like it. If you can afford it and are planning to upgrade your tank than I say get 2 40's.

I'm also considering upgrading to vortechs. I have 4 Koralia's of varying sizes in my 65gal and I'm wondering if I should go with 1 mp40 or 2 mp10's. I also have a mixed reef. I used the calculator on Ecotech's website and it didn't really give me a definitive answer. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

on the 90 gallon i would go with 2 mp 40 and if you get the battary backup only plug 1 in so you get longer running time.
on my 65 gallon i run 1 mp10 and 1 mp 40 the flow is great and if you get the battary backup and the power went out more then 4 hours i would unplug the mp 40 for longer running time

on the battary backup every 3 or 4 months you should unplug the mp's and let them run off the battary backup for 10 or 12 hours to pro long the life of it.they should last 3 yo 5 years it's your basic motor cycle battary in side. hth don

3 MP10's on a 45 gal cube didn't seem like enough flow for the mode I ran them in. Vortechs are often demonstrated with short pulse mode to show the cool wave effect, but that mode is NOISY. I run my Vortechs in reef crest/lagoon modes, because both of those modes are random and don't have the constant and predictable, GRR, GRR, GRR noise that short pulse does. I would probably go with MP40's on a 90 gallon. I don't think I would be happy with the output of MP10's on anything larger than a 40 gallon.

If 90 is as big as you ever will go then get 2xmp10 for soft/lps or mixed reef.

If its all sps, or if you ever see yourself going bigger then get 1 mp40 now and another in the future if you can afford it.

Only way this would change is if you find a amazing deal used. I got a mp10 for $100, couldn't say no. It stays on lagoon mode, 100%.

Ended up getting one mp40 so I can potentially get a bigger tank in the future ;-) thanks for all the info!
Mason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back