Reef radiance

I had a variation of their IT2040. Was running 2 over a 155g quarter cylinder. They are not bad for the money, but in the long run you will probably wish you had gone with a higher end light. That light will do a nice job lighting about a 2.5 x 2 foot area. Not knowing the dimensions of your cube, it's hard to say what you would get, but I'm thinking your outer edges would be pretty dark. Also, mine could be programmed on the half hour. This one is down to 10 minutes. While that sounds nice, it's a lot of manual entries to input.

Im wating on mine right now. rick is a real nice guy, he called me and walked me through the hole led buying thing. he did not try to sell me a light untill he explaned everything to me.. I was real happy with everything thats y i ordered from him. I got a 240 for my 90 reef....

Cube is 30x30x30. Rick actually told me that 1 was enough to keep anything that I want. But I've had other people say that it's not enough. Prob gonna order 1 then get the clubs par meter to see who's correct :)

The lamp your looking at is about 7 inches wider than mine. I was limited by my canopy height also. You should be able to light your cube well with that. I like the additional colors they added.

Where are you located? I just upgraded my lighting and have the two IT2040 clones hanging around. I'd be glad to loan one to you to try before buying.

For the money, these really aren't bad. I used mine for about 7 months. When I first got them, I wasn't thrilled with color balance, so I modified it with some cyans in the blue channel and replaced some of the white channel with cyans and the blues that were removed from the blue channel.
The unit your looking at is closer to what mine was modified to. That seems to be a needed change.

They came with 90' lenses and didn't the tank fully light from front to rear (~29"). Tried changing them to 120's which gave better coverage but not full. Removing the lenses completely gave the coverage I wanted. I have a canopy so mounting height was limited. If you are running an unobstructed top, you should be able to get coverage by adjusting the height.

Was able to get nice sunrise/set effect with half hour programming. The unit your looking at programs in 10 minute intervals. That will require inputting 60 steps over a 10 hour light cycle. You may be able to choose longer intervals. ie. 30 minutes. Mine could do 30 or 60.

Par output 7 inches below the water with the fixture 8 inches over the surface with 90 lenses = 500, 120 lenses = 350 about 275 without lenses

During all this fiddling around, it came to me that I would never quite get the look of the Ecoray, PacSuns and other high-end lights that I really loved. I finally bit the bullet and bought a PacSun.

Would I recommend getting that light? If that's what your budget will allow, go for it. My corals did fine and others have also. But if you can scrape together a few more nickels (or a wheelbarrow full) wait until you can.

Oh, the real output of is unit is 100 watts. Manufacturers like playing games. They install 60, 3 watt LEDs. 180 watts, right? Nope. Running an LED at the max will drastically shorten it's life. Suggested continuous power is about 2 watts. The working current listed in the specs (460mA) shows they are actually running about 1.7 watts

A pac sun will run you about 850 and up. The ecotech about 550, but not sure if one ecotech would cover you tank. I'm really not trying to turn you away from your choice. Those lights aren't bad, but may leave you wishing you waited for something else.

Back