Refugium vs algae scrubber vs algae reactor

Spudsly

BRS Member
Currently I don't have a refugium and I don't really have room for it in my sump. As such I've been looking for the best option. I could add a separate refugium under my stand, next to my sump but I started to consider simply going with an algae scrubber or macroalgae reactor. Neither of these things was used last time I was in this hobby and I see that there's lots of strong feelings about them. My main concerns in not having a refugium are in copepod production and offsetting diurnal pH swings (filtration is a secondary concern in this case). I think at this point I'm leaning towards a macroalgae reactor but it does seem like sometimes those don't stay overly healthy and I do wonder if an ATS wouldn't be better for copepod production and general tank health. I was just curious if anyone had strong opinions about the pros and cons of these options.

I researched this years ago and I currently run an ats. pod production might not be as much as a refugium but I do see tons of pods in the bucket after im done scrapping the ats clean. p04 is always at .03 and nitrates are always zero. I haven't tested nitrates for about a month but I have tripled my feedings just so I can get 5-10 ppm of nitrate to make sps more colorful.

Back